Insight?/Help with Jaguars and Mustangs

Ever since I learned my first song on guitar at age 8, I've been interested in either a Jaguar or a Mustang. About 2 months ago I bought a 2008. MIM HSS Strat and would be willing to trade it for a Squier Jaguar or Mustang. I just haven't played the HSS so it's been sitting in mint condition. What do you think? Help me out please.

PS: I have a Gibson LPJ and Squier 50s CV Strat aside from the HSS (I'm 14 so I can afford Squiers. I also like the sound of Squiers and there setup way better than the cheaper Fender guitars)

Great Shot Pilot

Silver Supporting Member
The Squier VM Jags are a really nice value. However, they can be hit or miss quality wise, so you'll want to play a few before you settle on one, or buy online from someplace with a good return policy. You will definitely need to do, or pay for, a good setup from a tech familiar with the Jag/Jazzmaster bridge, because out of the box, it will almost certainly rattle/buzz. A lot of folks immediately replace that bridge with a Mustang bridge, so that's another option. Your tech should also take a look at shimming the neck as well.

Your proposed trade seems fair, though if you are getting a used Jag in return, you probably ought to get a few bucks in the deal as well. Squier VM Jags can easily be had for $200 or so used; your Strat is probably worth a little more.

The Squier VM Jags are a really nice value. However, they can be hit or miss quality wise, so you'll want to play a few before you settle on one, or buy online from someplace with a good return policy. You will definitely need to do, or pay for, a good setup from a tech familiar with the Jag/Jazzmaster bridge, because out of the box, it will almost certainly rattle/buzz. A lot of folks immediately replace that bridge with a Mustang bridge, so that's another option. Your tech should also take a look at shimming the neck as well.

Your proposed trade seems fair, though if you are getting a used Jag in return, you probably ought to get a few bucks in the deal as well. Squier VM Jags can easily be had for $200 or so used; your Strat is probably worth a little more.
Thanks for the help. Yeah I can easily get $300-$350 for my MIM. That's what they fetch in my area. I have a local luthier here too that has been working on guitars for over 25 years I think. Know anything on the Mustangs? The guitar shop closest to me doesn't have a Mustang or Jaguar right now but just outside of town there's a Guitar Center and a shop called Ye Olde Music (I believe that's the name). We got my LPJ from Ye Olde. The owner is really particular about who plays what. If you look kinda rough, chances are he's not going to let you play a $3000 Gibson. Anyway, I've seen many Mustangs on consignment there. Only 1 Jag though. My dad and I need to swing back up there but he's been so busy with work lately.

slimdave

In my opinion, I'd rather go for a Jaguar than a Mustang. I just don't like the Mustangs, had a MIJ for 5 years and never bonded with it. Don't know of it's the scale, the pu, the neck, ... Never liked it.

But considering your age, I'd rather focus on playing than on gear. Just get ONE guitar you like and play the hell out of it. The guitar master we admire today used to to it that way when they were learning and it worked really good for them. Again, just my honest opinion. Rock on!

In my opinion, I'd rather go for a Jaguar than a Mustang. I just don't like the Mustangs, had a MIJ for 5 years and never bonded with it. Don't know of it's the scale, the pu, the neck, ... Never liked it.

But considering your age, I'd rather focus on playing than on gear. Just get ONE guitar you like and play the hell out of it. The guitar master we admire today used to to it that way when they were learning and it worked really good for them. Again, just my honest opinion. Rock on!
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with my playing. I can normally play about 2-3 hours a day.

slimdave

Great, enjoy then. The important thing is that you are happy with what you do.
It was just an advice, don't take it bad.