Inspirational filter/synth effects

The Whiz

So I have a love/hate relationship with my Line 6 Filter Modeller FM4. There's lots of cool noises and tweaking to be had but when it comes down to it it's tonally kind of harsh. I can improve things by running it into overdrive or compression but any joy I have doesn't last long and I take it off the board after a day or two.

What are some small footprint filter or synth effects that actually sound good (warm, analog, noisy is ok) and can provide anything from subtle to whacko. I guess there's envelope filters, qtron, zvex oohwah...what else? What's floating yer boat, sailor?

Multicellular

Iron Ether have multiple cool synthy filter pedals.

A little bigger but a Subdecay Prometheus is epic.

And

Dwarfcraft Gears is a synthy octave down and has a great expression controllable filter.

The Whiz

octasynth-octave-syntesizer2-333x333.jpg

Ooh. That's a sexy little number.

ERGExplorer

So I have a love/hate relationship with my Line 6 Filter Modeller FM4. There's lots of cool noises and tweaking to be had but when it comes down to it it's tonally kind of harsh.

What are some small footprint filter or synth effects that actually sound good (warm, analog, noisy is ok) and can provide anything from subtle to whacko?

There's a lot of synths which are also harsh when run dry. If you listen to recordings which are centered on synths, you'll start noticing that almost none of them have the synths running dry.

As a small suggestion, chorus and other short delays can add detuning and fatness. A small detune increment of 1 cent also works. Reverb smooths things out tremendously. Vibrato and reverb will bring out a choral quality.

No matter what synth or synth pedal you're using, you should consider sweetening its sound in the ways which have been used over the years to generate the tones which you look to as the targets.

ummohyeah

BitQuest's filter mode is my favorite. Got told today a lead part was a missing 16 bit bagpipe track from Chrono Trigger.

ck3

Dirty Robot from digitech

This is one of the most satisfying synth pedals I've owned in a good while. The tracking is decent, no additional noise is added to the signal chain, and it provides all sorts of interesting synth pulses, throbs, and swells along with various formant filter effects.

Another option if you dig analog and don't mind noise would be the Earthquaker Devices Spatial Delivery. It covers all the standard filter bases and is capable of producing somewhat unconventional textures at more extreme settings.

71strat

These aren't small.

MOOG MF102 Ring Modulator x MF101 Low Pass Filter x EHX MEL9 x EHX HOG2, x MF103 Phaser x MF 108M Flanger/Chorus x Dawner Prince Boonar x Mayer 4644 Drive x Mayer Visage x Mayer Vision Wah is a good start.

The Whiz

There's a lot of synths which are also harsh when run dry. If you listen to recordings which are centered on synths, you'll start noticing that almost none of them have the synths running dry.

As a small suggestion, chorus and other short delays can add detuning and fatness. A small detune increment of 1 cent also works. Reverb smooths things out tremendously. Vibrato and reverb will bring out a choral quality.

No matter what synth or synth pedal you're using, you should consider sweetening its sound in the ways which have been used over the years to generate the tones which you look to as the targets.
Good point. It's more the filters of the fm4 that I expect to get better results with into a clean amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom