Inspiring analog delay, on the cheap

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
Platinum Supporting Member
And by on the cheap I mean "Can be had in the vicinity of $100 on a regular basis".

Any contenders?

Inspirational how?

I feel like I'm constantly plugging these but I just love my aqua puss and supa puss so much, they inspire me daily! I'm sure you could get an aqua or echo puss for near that price used? There are different flavors of delay though, so what are you looking for?

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
my favorite is absolutely the carbon copy
if you are patient you can find 'em at around 80 bucks
this is coming from a huge fan of the DMM and the analogman ANYTHING (I've yet to try the 'big' one, but I HAVE a timeline and a DMM, so i don't really have the yearning for the ar20xl. .. or whatever it might be called. . . but would really love to try that fookin thing with the amazeo)
short of those two. .. .
carbon copy!

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
I appreciate those threads, though beyond some obvious choices, most of the suggestions were beyond what I'd call cheap.

Inspirational how?

I feel like I'm constantly plugging these but I just love my aqua puss and supa puss so much, they inspire me daily! I'm sure you could get an aqua or echo puss for near that price used? There are different flavors of delay though, so what are you looking for?
Well, I love the dark lo-fi repeats that some analog units deliver. Most of the modulation out there doesn't excite me...just heavy handed chorus that makes it all sound out of tune.

I like there to be a little shimmer involved, which might seem at odds with dark repeats. When I think shimmer, I guess I think of something along the lines of tremolo or rotary...like flickering flame. Only...in a delay pedal.

Just a semi-unpredictable but otherwise simple, straightforward delay.

Last edited:

darkinners

$100 I'd get a used Carbon Copy.
It just so good.

I recently replaced Carbon Copy with JHS Panther on my board.
Honestly, despite the fact that Panther cost 3 times more of CC but I really think CC sound better, more inspiring.
Only thing made me keep Panther on my board instead of CC is I want Panther's feature.

eclecto-acoustic

Coal-hating feral hippie
I'm liking the sounds of the Echo Puss. Though I want a trem/vib/rotary pedal as well, I wonder if a non-modulating delay with that in front would do the trick.

Craig Gates

I love the Memory Toy - simply because it sounds like what I think of when I think "delay." I guess it's kind of dark and gritty. I fiddled with the interior trim pot to get the mod switch to be a little more musical; even so, I very rarely use it. The Memory Toy pares delay down to the essentials and gives me everything I'm looking for in a delay, and comes at a price point that's easy to replace if it breaks down.

Used Jack Deville Dark Echo. Not analog, but has that analog "dusk," plus some seasick warble available. They pop up in the $100 range, but $125 is more common. Sometimes more. No longer made, and a steal at any price IMO.