Installed 61 Zebras in SG - middle position out of phase

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by WDeranged, Feb 5, 2015.

1. WDeranged

WDeranged Member

I just got done putting 50's wiring guts into my new SG and my middle position is a really thin, quacky out of phase tone...I actually kinda like it but I want to know what's going on.

Below is a quote which might explain what's going on but I'm not tech savvy enough to know which wires I need to solder for normal operation.

"Modern Gibson pickups, even the Burstbucker family, have the magnetic polarity reversed between neck and bridge pickups. This is especially important to know with the new Gibson quick connect for neck and bridge pickups. My 490R (neck) and '61 Zebra Reissue neck pickups (part of Gibson's Burstbucker family of pickups) have the screw coil as South polarity. The other two pickups in my two sets are a 498T (bridge) and a '61 Zebra Reissue bridge pickup and these bridge pickups have the screw coil as being North polarity.
    I figured this has to do with making the circuit card controls in many newer Gibsons easier for the factory to set up for the phase switching and coil splitting that some of the Gibsons have with push-pull potentiometers"

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan has some great wiring diagrams for different pickups on their website...

3. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    With Gibson 4 conductors I believe its white/green tied together for series (would go to a tap switch if using), black to ground, and red to output. Sounds like you something in the white/green/red reversed.

4. WDeranged

WDeranged Member

In both cases I've soldered the red wire to the lug of the pot, connected and taped the white and green wires and soldered the black and bare wires to the pots.

It's looking like I need to reverse the polarity for one of the pups but I've no idea what wires to swap.