1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Installed new Highorder pickups in my Agile LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Reeek, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Reeek

Reeek Member

I got my Highorder pickups from Jeff last Wednesday and I had the opportunity to install them into my Agile AL-3000 Prestige Gold Top yesterday morning.

The specs are:

Both A3 magnets
    Potted
    Neck = 7.8
    Bridge = 8.5
    Both with a very shiny, high quality nickel cover

These things rock. To my ears, the tone on this Agile has doubled in quality.

These pickups have a very vintage tone to them. They drive my old tube amps to a very creamy, smooth overdrive and they sustain for as long as I hold the note on a few of my nicer amps. They fit high powered amps (my 1969 Twin) and low powered amps (my three dual EL84 Sanos) very nicely.

They pair REALLY nicely with my pedals too. When I kicked in the Boss V-Wah with the Marshall Gov' Nor model, it was too good to bear. I almost needed a tissue :D

The Agile sounds more like a vintage LP than I ever thought it would since I am the world's greatest cynic. I'm totally digging these pickups and I am definitely going to buy a pair for my Carvin CT6M now too.

Highorder pickups come highly recommended by me for sure! One of the last great bargains IMHO.

2. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I agree - get 'em while you can at this price. I got a pair with A2 magnets and they saved my Les Paul Classic. They're the best bargain in pickups right now.

3. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Yes Jeff's pickups are amazing. Bought another set soon after receiving my first. Best kept secret out there. Of all my gear purchases in 2005, I'm most happy with my purchase of the Highorders!

4. Marcello

Marcello Member

Waiting for a 8.5 A2, 10 weeks :(

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

I waited about 10-12. You'll love them, I'm sure ;)

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

I added a bunch of sound sample sof the High Orders through several low powered amps. The pickups are 7.8/8.5 potted alnico 3 with nickel covers.

Some of the samples have a little digital clippiing. Sorry. Plus I'm just noodling and doing the same stuff over and over again for comparisons. I tried to let notes sustain and decay and I did various pickups and volumes on the amps. I even swapped picks and used different amp inputs too.

They're all in my soundclick link in my sig.

7. ABKB

ABKB Member

Two more weeks for mine!!!!!!!

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

It seems most guys put them in lower cost guitars such as Agiles. Anyone try em in PRs or Gibsons, etc? Thanks!

I am a current WCR addict.

9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I put High Order P-90s in an Agile AS 820. I think a lot of people are putting the HOs into Agiles because it is standard procedure to swap the electronics on them. In my case, my higher-end guitars already sound the way I want them to, or don't sound bad enough that swapping pickups are a high priority on my limited gear budget... Not that HO pickups wouldn't make them sound better, just that the improvement would be lesser than with the Agiles.

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm going to order a pair for my Carvin CT6M right after the holidays.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

Looks nice fore sure but for me personally I could never vibe with a Hamer and never liked how they look.

12. jcs

jcs Member

yeah i have an 8.5k alnico 3 in my 65 sg special(very slight bridge route for humbuckers) ...

nothing more to say than i am 'very pleased' as i hear more of the 'wood' with this pickup over a 70s t-top and several duncan 59s-alnico pro 2...

there are plenty of folks using highorders in gibsons-fenders-tokais etc...

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

I'd be afraid to switch because WCRs and Wolfetones are soooooo darn good.

14. Srini

Srini Guest

Reek, I'm glad to hear that. I'm planning replace the Anderson HO2 (bridge) on my Warmoth Strat with a HO....maybe A3. I really love the Tim Cox clip on Jeff's site, and would love to get that tone. Although from a hardtail swampash start....I may need a darker sounding pickup.

Anyway, Jeff is trying to figure out how to get me a gold cover. Of course, if a bunch of you guys order gold covered pickups, he can get a bulk order going...:)

Srini

15. Reeek

Reeek Member

Hmmm, I wonder if gold PU covers would look good with black chrome hardware? It actually may ;)