• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Installed new lipstick pickup...low output on the low E (6th) string.

soma89

Ok, my low E is barely audible after I threw in some lipstick pickup on a project guitar. The lipsticks obviously don't have adjustable pole pieces, and are up REALLY close to the strings. The nut seems to allow the string to sit well...I cant think of anything else that may affect this. Any ideas? Could it be a dead E?

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Some lipsticks are quite susceptible to being demagnetized or even remagnetized in the opposite polarity on sections of the bar magnet. I have some nifty magnetic sensing film that will show me if this has happened.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, my low E is barely audible after I threw in some lipstick pickup on a project guitar. The lipsticks obviously don't have adjustable pole pieces, and are up REALLY close to the strings. The nut seems to allow the string to sit well...I cant think of anything else that may affect this. Any ideas? Could it be a dead E?
You installed one pickup and the output is low on that string?

I purchased a Fender Hot Rod Telecaster and the stock firebird style humbucker in the neck had very low output on the high E string. Crazy low. I replaced the pickup and everything is perfect now.

If this is a new problem and it's showing up with a new pickup, I'd say you have a bad pickup.

Top Bottom