• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Installing a nut on a Tele neck...

... more to it than meets the eye? Anyone has a cool link to offer, or interesting advice?

I have a nutless neck - I know, I know, it doesn't sound right... - and a brand new Tusq nut. The nut has that funny little tab thing at the bottom...

Anyway, who's got the knowledge? :)

Loni Specter

I used a dremel and a small router bit to cut a slot in the bottom of the nut groove for the tab on the nut. Be carefull not to go too deep.

riggergreg

The tab is for flat nut slots. If yours is radiused, use a half round file or some sandpaper to take it down to fit the radius.

If the nut is to thick, sand the fretboard side flat a little at a time, until it fits snug.

Go slow. It's pretty simple

gkoelling

The tab is for flat nut slots. If yours is radiused, use a half round file or some sandpaper to take it down to fit the radius.

If the nut is to thick, sand the fretboard side flat a little at a time, until it fits snug.

I've done a few of these with sandpaper. Take your time, as greg suggests and you should be OK.

Good luck

K-Line

Vendor

Yeah, what he said. Tusq is awesome, very slick. Also, to take the edges off, center the nut so the E strings are where you want it. Take a mechanical pencil and mark the excess. Take out and take it down just to the pencil marks. Put back in and then shift it one way and file some off until it fits in the slot on that side smoothly. Then repeat for the other side all the while making sure the spacing on the E strings is right. After you get the edges clean, take out and finish shaping the top. Take some 600 paper and sand all the sharp edges. Continue up with grit until you get to about 1500, then it should shine just like a piece of bone! I use a touch of wood glue to hold it in, also makes cleanup of excess easy with a damp paper towel. Usually the slots need to be lowered a bit to get the action right. If you have never done this, don't. The nut must be filed correctly or tuning probs will be certain.

Trending Topics