1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Installing a pickguard help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sodapopinski, May 17, 2011.

1. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

are you supposed to drill the holes or will making a hole with a nail be enough?

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

Yes, you are suppoesed to drill holes, but do you have the correct size drill bit? Do you know how to determine the correct size drill bit to use? Are you skilled with a nail? Is the wood soft enough for the nail to be effective? Are you good with a screwdriver? These are but some of the factors involved. Don't screw up (no pun iontended)!

3. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I would not make a hole with a nail. If it's a real expensve guitar and you're considering using a nail, then I would seriously consider asking someone more skilled to do the work for you.

4. zul

zul Supporting Member

Prep it for the screw. Use the correct bit for the screw and also mark the depth. A good tip I picked from Kirn's tele build is to countersink the finish to prevent cracking. Soap or wax for any screws going into wood.

Funny thing is that I take all this precaution to do it right, and then proceed to beat the hell out of her at gigs. I bet she is thoroughly confused.

5. sodapopinski

sodapopinski Member

Thanks for the info guys... its a Cabronita partcaster that I'm putting together. This is my very first guitar that I am building so I don't know what I'm doing, lol.
    My only concern is that if I have someone else install the pickguard they might pit it on crooked or something :p
    All I am waiting for now is the TV Jones powertron I ordered 11 days ago and they have yet to comfirm shipping. I also think I bought the wrong size bridge, oh well...

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Get a good sharp awl and mark the center of the holes. Then drill the appropriate size hole and I champfer the holes to prevent the screw threads from popping the finish. If the finish is super hard you can run a fresh drill bit backwards to avoid the "lift" affect. Good luck with your build and please post pics :aok