1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a rack unit in a pedal board...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jazzygeoff, Nov 18, 2005.

1. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

I have a TC Electronics G-Major and was using the SKB PS-100 pedal board the one with the 3 rack spaces but I'd like to retire it as the SKB is a PITA to hump around as it takes up a lot of real estate.

What I'd like to fit into one unit is the G-Major, a 1/2 rack space wireless. For pedals and controllers a pedal Tuner, Barber Burn unit, Prescription C.O.B, Budda Wah, Rocktron Midimate and a Voodoo labs pedal power.

Is there any product or products that and allow me to utilize both rack and pedals in the same box but be able to break down easily for transport to gigs and rehearsal?

Thanks in advance,

Jazzy

2. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

If ADL starts making the Modular Pedalboard again then you'll be set...I have one and its exactly what you're looking for, two rack spaces and then 4 1/3 spaces for the juicebox, patchbay, a/c distro, etc...

4. TBone

TBone Member

Thanks PbyT,

We are currently planning to reintroduce the ADL Modular Pedalboard in early 2006 at Pedalgear.net. I believe it's a unique concept and would be a worthy effort.:dude

It will incorporate all of the function of the earlier model including the rack spaces.

TBone

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I will be waiting to see this as well. As long as my pedals will be as safe as they are in the SKB and as long as I can have the needed power/flexibility requirements taken care of, I may re-consider my pedalboard setup. M.E.

[​IMG]

6. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Hey Michael E what is that Footcontrooler you have going there? That is surprisingly a lot like my current setup with the SKB.

As well you guys have some pics of the ADL Modular Pedalboard? How is the new one going to be better and or different than the SKB or anything else out there?

7. michael.e

That controller is to my EH 16 second digital delay.

The SKB is a pretty convenient package. If I was to find a unit that was thinner and longer, that would be okay. Hopefully this new system would work. M.E.

8. TBone

TBone Member

I've loaded a couple of photos of the Modular Pedalboard for you to see on our website. Go to:

PedalGear.net Modular Pedalboard Photos

- and scroll down the page.

Some of the differences include -
    There are two full single rack spaces in the center / and four 1/3 rack spaces in each of the corners on the back. The 1/3 spaces can be used, among other things, with our 3000mA JuiceBox power supply, patchbay and AC distribution. The board is made out of light weight sheet metal. Overall a more compact piece of gear with more surface area for your pedals and no add on rack box.

Thanks for asking.:)
    Tony@pedalgear.net

9. michael.e

Very cool looking. So do the rack units face rearward? How deep are the full rack spaces? I cannot make those two things out. M.E.

10. TBone

TBone Member

Michael,
    Yeah - sorry the photo's aren't the greatest. When we get closer to production, I'll get some good shots of the board up on the website. I was involved with the original Modular Pedalboard design working with Pedalboard.com and ADL so I am a little familiar with how the board was designed for use.

If you look at the third picture down - the rear shot. You can see the rack screws on either side of the 19" full rack space. The rack slots are on the back and the thought in the design was that this trade off for space would be valuable for things like your wireless receiver and/or an effects unit that you would not typically change settings on during a set or need to access frequently after setting up the unit. With the use of our SwitchBox, the effects unit could be engaged or bypassed. By the way, there's a Sennheiser wireless in the back of the board on the first photo and you can see the antenna's sticking out of the back of Brad Whitford's MPB.

I don't have one here right now to confirm measurements but my estimate is that the top rack is about 6" deep and the lower rack is 10" to 12" deep. I should have some of the new frames next month and be able to get detailed dimensions for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks,
    Tony@pedalgear.net

11. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Thanks for posting the pics up. All I'd be concerned about in my situation is the use of the G-Major rear loaded. Because you don't have a visual for the G-Major's tuner. As well the G-Major's face plate and knobs are a little on the fragile side to more than light/medium abuse. (Mine was in a SKB 6 space box and it fell over (Kaboom!)and it cost me a lot for really unneeded repairs)

Other than that the MPB looks primo I like it.

Do you have any suggestions for the visual que on the G-Major's tuner? I'd hate to have to buy a seperate tuner when I already have one.

12. TBone

TBone Member

The lower rack space is recessed about 1" and not in the plane of the top rack space which is slightly visable on the third shot. This would prevent full exposure to the face of your G-Major. It was done for this purpose and to provide additional strength in the back of the unit with the amount of open space in the metal chassis.

Unfortunately, my only suggestion would be a surface mount tuner on the top of the board - as I don't see a way to be able to look at the front of the G-Major for it's tuner when mounted to the rear rack space.

We tried to provide the most flexibility possible but I guess there's just no way to fill everyone's need in one single design.

Glad you liked the shots of the MPB -
    Have a great day,
    Tony@pedalgear.net

13. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Thanks I appreciate the honesty. I am still thinking of doing a surface mount tuner so your product could very well fit the bill anyways.

Thanks again