Installing a strap button

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Kendrick68, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Kendrick68

Kendrick68 Member

I need to install a strap button in the base of the neck of my acoustic guitar.
    The guitar in question is a Gibson Advanced Jumbo. It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to do but I want to know if anyone out there has any tips on the do's and dont's involved. I appreciate any help that is offered.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. mike80

mike80 Member

The only thing I can sugest is to drill a hole with a bit smaller than the shank of the screw before you install it. That way the neck wood doesn't split. Don't go too big, otherwise the screw will strip out. Too small and the wood may split.

3. K-man

K-man Member

I'm forwarding you an email from Stewmac on installing strap buttons.

4. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Member

Depending on the value of the guitar, it may be worth a few bucks to have a luthier do it.

I have all my acoustics done like this...

[​IMG]

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ditto, as to the location.

Simple job, I've done them all, for my acoustics. As mentioned above, just be sure to pre-drill with a bit that is smaller than the screw you're using.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I only charge for the tuner buttons. I do it while the customer waits. I do this because I feel it should be there in the first place. Drill a pilot hole that is 1/4" deeper than the screw. Lube the screw with liquid hand soap.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

One more thing to add - before you put the screw to it chamfer just the top of the pilot hole you just drilled to get the finish away from the hole. That way there is less chance of finish popping off as the screw cuts its way through. Why make an extra repair for yourself? ;)

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the specific and only reason to put it off to the side like that is because of the sharp edge of that martin-style heel. on a round-heeled gibson, just center it, it looks better that way.