Installing casters

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kingsxman, Jun 30, 2006.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I picked up a set of Ernie Ball casters to install on my 4x12 cab (budda). Didnt come with any instructions...

I'm assuming its as simple as drilling 4 holes on the bottom of the cab that are just big enough for the center rod of the caster to go through....then screwing them down to the bottom of the cab. Correct? Any worry about sealing them inside the cab? Anything like that?

thx

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Hmmm...I used casters with a flat-plate mounting affair that you simply screw in. I guess with mine removing them would be a pain, but I've never found the need to do that anyway.

DJ

3. kingsxman

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Just make sure the hole for the tube is as tight a fit as possible and you don't need to worry about it (ideally almost a force fit with a mallet). That's the strongest way as well as sealing the cab.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Those casters usually need to have a 9/16" hole drilled for the tube. They're the same size as the Fender replacement types I retrofit cabs with. If you go 9/16" you'll be able to slide them in up to about 3/16 or 1/4", then pound them the rest of the way in with a hammer, or just flip cab rightside up and let the weight of the cab settle them in.

Then drill out your mounting screw holes, and you're all set.

6. kingsxman

7. achtung

achtung Member

the casters look like a good design. more sturdy than just a plate. heed advice for hole diameter, which should make it tight. Then roll your Budda down a big hill and get on top of it. (only for testing casters...)

Achtung

8. kingsxman

These casters came with no screws, etc. Would you use screws or nuts/bolts to secure them to the cab?

9. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

The caster mounts on an amp take quite a beating when they're being rolled around, especially going over irregularities in pavement, door sills, etc. I don't trust screws to hold these, especially in particle-board enclosures. I always use bolts with the nylon-topped locknuts and a flat washer. This definitely provides stronger holding power than just screws. So far, I've never had a customer complain.

Ken