Installing Floyd locking nut into strat. How much gap from fret to string?

asdfdsa

So I guess I'll have to router the nut shelf dead-level, but how low do I go, or how high do I set the nut? I suppose there is a preference variance, but is there a good range to be in? Is the measurement taken from fret top to low E string bottom? Like using the D string or .26 gauge as a good indicator?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
You want the gap from the first fret to the bottom of the string to be as small as possible; it should be barely larger than that same gap over the second fret when you push down the string at the first fret.

When cutting the slot, it's OK to go a little too low, because you can easily use special metal shims to set the Floyd nut at just the right height.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
http://www.kramerforum.com/floydrose/

Nothing particularly tricky here, but it helps to have the right templates and fixtures. For example, I don't know how you're going to route for the nut. If I were doing it, I would either use my pin router, or for just one I might even just cut the shelf by hand. The easiest thing you can do is find a friend with a milling machine and cut the slot with that.

You can find routing templates for the bridge at StewMac.

asdfdsa

So it says to have a shelf depth of .215", but a #3 & #5 nut need .265" . Why would an R3 nut need a deeper shelf than an R4 nut? I'm not clear on that...

asdfdsa

^That's what I thought, but why does it say:

"If you are using a shallow nut (#1, #2, #4, #6, #7, #8, #9) you will need to rout a shelf .215" below the level of the top frets (Figure 6). A taller nut (#3, #5) will require a .265" shelf depth."

levelfrets

Just a tip... I purposely route the shelf a few thousandths too high and fine tune it to the exact height with a modified file. The file has one side ground flat against the fingerboard to keep from removing material there and only on the shelf. You just have to be skillful with a file to make it look perfect and keep things flat but the results will be dead on without having to use shims. This will save you if you are having a bad math day!!!!!!!

Eagle1

^That's what I thought, but why does it say:

"If you are using a shallow nut (#1, #2, #4, #6, #7, #8, #9) you will need to rout a shelf .215" below the level of the top frets (Figure 6). A taller nut (#3, #5) will require a .265" shelf depth."
OFR nuts vary very slightly anyway plus your fret hight will not be the same on all guitars . Just mesure it and your required cut taking in to account your frets and the nut your wanting to fit .

Trending Topics

Top Bottom