• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Installing Floyd locking nut into strat. How much gap from fret to string?

asdfdsa

So I guess I'll have to router the nut shelf dead-level, but how low do I go, or how high do I set the nut? I suppose there is a preference variance, but is there a good range to be in? Is the measurement taken from fret top to low E string bottom? Like using the D string or .26 gauge as a good indicator?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
You want the gap from the first fret to the bottom of the string to be as small as possible; it should be barely larger than that same gap over the second fret when you push down the string at the first fret.

When cutting the slot, it's OK to go a little too low, because you can easily use special metal shims to set the Floyd nut at just the right height.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
http://www.kramerforum.com/floydrose/

Nothing particularly tricky here, but it helps to have the right templates and fixtures. For example, I don't know how you're going to route for the nut. If I were doing it, I would either use my pin router, or for just one I might even just cut the shelf by hand. The easiest thing you can do is find a friend with a milling machine and cut the slot with that.

You can find routing templates for the bridge at StewMac.

asdfdsa

So it says to have a shelf depth of .215", but a #3 & #5 nut need .265" . Why would an R3 nut need a deeper shelf than an R4 nut? I'm not clear on that...

asdfdsa

^That's what I thought, but why does it say:

"If you are using a shallow nut (#1, #2, #4, #6, #7, #8, #9) you will need to rout a shelf .215" below the level of the top frets (Figure 6). A taller nut (#3, #5) will require a .265" shelf depth."

levelfrets

Just a tip... I purposely route the shelf a few thousandths too high and fine tune it to the exact height with a modified file. The file has one side ground flat against the fingerboard to keep from removing material there and only on the shelf. You just have to be skillful with a file to make it look perfect and keep things flat but the results will be dead on without having to use shims. This will save you if you are having a bad math day!!!!!!!

Eagle1

^That's what I thought, but why does it say:

"If you are using a shallow nut (#1, #2, #4, #6, #7, #8, #9) you will need to rout a shelf .215" below the level of the top frets (Figure 6). A taller nut (#3, #5) will require a .265" shelf depth."
OFR nuts vary very slightly anyway plus your fret hight will not be the same on all guitars . Just mesure it and your required cut taking in to account your frets and the nut your wanting to fit .

Trending Topics