Installing Pedal Power on Older Pedaltrain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by in2dblues, Dec 16, 2009.

1. in2dblues

in2dblues Member

:hiPI have an old pedal power unit and one of the first versions of the pedaltrain. When I bought the pedal train I added 4 small rubber feet that gripped better to the floor and lifted it a bit. Now I think they come that way. Nevertheless it elevated my board maybe 1/2 "

Recently, I saw the new pedaltrains with the pedal power units installed under it. Wow what a concept, more valuable real estate on top. I put my pedal power under the pedaltrain to see if that would be possible and I have the clearance (Do to the rubber feet).

Has anybody tried drilling the two holes through the front of the aluminum pedal board? If so what is the diameter needed? It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, I just need a big vice to hold it. Any Ideas?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

if you use 3M Dual Lock, you won't need to do that. I have mine dual lock velcroed to the bottom of a Mini PT and it's very secure.

3. 89strat

89strat Member

Without the new rubber feet that you added, would the pedal power still be able to fit on a stock Pedaltrain?

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have a PT-2, I bought it a year ago, but didn't realize that they had come out with the modified ones for the Pedal Power. I was told by someone there that the older models couldn't be modified to accept the pedal power. Is it because the newer models sit higher off the floor? Do the newer frames have different seperation? I don't know. Before I go out and buy a voodoo power 2, I would like to hear from someone that was able to mount one under his older model Pt-2.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same boat, I think.

4. Steven

Steven Member

I have an older Pro and the PPII wont fit between the frames.

5. Bart

Bart Member

Not true. Before Pedaltrain released the recent version with the brackets and routing, Jakkedy, a forum regular here, was the first to offer the mod. Basically, you send him the board and he'll do the routing for a fee. Here's his blogspot:

http://edsmusic-jakeddy.blogspot.com/

Then, Pedaltrain took the cue from him and did the mod themselves.

I had a PT Jr modded by Jakkedy. Very outstanding job. The Pedal Power in Jakkedy's mod actually has a clearance of about 3 - 4 mm from the ground even without raising the front feet. They were held fast with velcro.

I actually took the inspiration from him when I modified the PT Mini to take up a Fuel Tank Jr and hoping that they'll take the cue from that. Especially with the forthcoming release of the Voodoo Labs ISO 5 PSU.

6. 89strat

89strat Member

Is that really all there is to it? Just drilling a hole to run the power chord through?

Looks easy enough. :dunno

7. kjriel

kjriel Supporting Member

It can be done, but is not as easy as you think. The front of the pedaltrain is not an open piece of tubing, but is actually kind of like two tubes together. There is a brace running horizontal through the middle. I wouldn't recommend using a drill bit, but a really good hole saw the correct diameter with a pilot bit to center it works if you are careful. I did it to an older pedaltrain using a drill press and it worked, but you do have to be careful. A mill is definitely a safer option, but not available to most people.

8. christhurman

christhurman Member