Installing Speaker Out Katana Air - Need Help

67Firebird

Hello

I am wanting to install a speaker out on my Air, but not sure how to proceed. I have opened it up and there are two speakers, each fed by their own 2 wires from the circuit board. Each speaker is 15 watts and 4 ohms. I have a couple mono switching jacks on their way to me and was trying how to figure out how to wire it.

Option A:
Take both positives from the circuit board and wire them to one lug on the switching jack and the two negatives to the other. Then run multiple wires out to each internal speaker.

Option B:
Run one set of wires from the circuit board(Positive and negative) to one jack and the other set to the other jack. This would create two speaker outs.

I would like to use option A so I only have one speaker out, but am not sure if that would be bad for the amp. Option B would give me the option of hooking it up to a 2X12 or just hooking one out to an external cab while the other internal speaker would still be working. I am including a copy of the block diagram from the manual.

Please let me know what would be the best plan here.

Thanks

pdf64

It looks to be a stereo power amp, so option A, wiring the outputs together, would be a bad idea, likely to cause damage.
Also can’t assume that the black wires are common, any wiring shorting to any other could cause damage.

67Firebird

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go with option B and probably only wire in one jack. That way, if something goes bad, I will still have one internal speaker working lol.

J M Fahey

Chiming in late, better than never ;)

1) as mentioned above,NEVER EVER join 2 amplifier *outputs* together. Guaranteed damage/destruction

2) do not conside even negative/black wires common.
VERY probably each channel uses a bridged/balanced output which means BOTH "+" and "-" wires are HOT :eek: , just fed out of phase, so not only can´t be joined, they do not even have to be grounded.

Your option is to use 2 *plastic/insulated* switching output jacks, so you can j
have both + and - wires insulated from anything else, each one driving its own external speaker .

Remember you will completely lose any warranty you have left.

Trending Topics