Installing Sperzel Locking Tuners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shadowbox, Feb 22, 2008.

1. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Just went to install the 3-a-side Sperzel locking tuners on my son's les paul. The tuning holes need to be widened, new holes need to be drilled for the sperzel screw-pop in type thing. The problem is a) I don't know how hard this would be b)I'm guessing it would be expensive (the tool for drilling the small hole i need is 90 dollars on stewmac) and c)the hole that needs to be drilled is really really close to the existing hole where the old crappy tuners screwed in. Is there a better set of tuners I can get that won't require any drilling at all? Or is this actually an easy and fairly inexpensive way to do this? Any help appreciated.

2. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

3. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Don't tighten them too much when you install them. I put a set of Sperzels on one of my strats and managed to break the casing on the low E tuner.

4. rrhea

rrhea Member

5. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

yeah a tapered reamer is all you need. Very simple.

6. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

I did look around on the web a little and I did come across this link you posted (http://www.tkinstruments.com/id94.htm) but this: "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The first thing you should know is, if you have never installed Sperzel tuners, or don't believe you have the experience to attempt installing Sperzel's then I highly recommend they be installed by a professional Luthier" That kind of scared me off. The old tuners were just like these: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/TK0735-NICK.htm so now I'm leaning towards those Gotohs. The old tuners were horrible, now that I've taken them off I realized how easy they are to turn compared to the Sperzels. [/FONT]

7. rrhea

rrhea Member

Yeah, go with the Gotohs. They are very high quality (far better than what the guitar came with), and they retro-fit without modifying the guitar. That is always the better path to take when possible.

The Gotohs work a tad differently than most locking tuners, but once you get the hang of it you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

RR

8. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

If your son still wants the Sperzel's these guy sell a fairly cheap reamer as well as the correct drill bit.

Reamer

drill bit

9. jay42

jay42 Member

If you know someone who works in a metal shop of some sort, have them create a small aluminum template. I have one with the set hole in the right place. Use a white or black china marker to draw a straight line through the center of the tuner holes for a strat. Have to think about a 3+3 headstock.

10. slider

slider Member

Anybody happen to know direct locking replacements for a '77 Ibanez Les Paul copy? Metric, I guess.