Installing Tube Dampers correctly - Metal Retainers

calgara12

Hey Forum :]

My Vox AC30C2 has this metallic rattle when i hit certain notes, i figured its a tube making these sounds and I've read that tube dampers could solve this issue, so i went ahead and ordered some of those. When they arrived i immediately opened my amp and then i saw those metal retainers that are tightly fit around the tubes.
So here comes my question, how do I install the tube dampers, or can i even install them with those metal retainers?
I dont have much knowledge when it comes to tube amps so please forgive me! But i really hope someone can help :]

I tried to squeeze the dampers in between the retainer and the tube.

Would this be the correct way to install it?

I'd be glad for any kind of advice on how to solve my issue

Thanks in advance guys :]

sickboy79

I would say yes. I've only used those on noisy EF86 preamp tubes (and they did the trick). The dampener is supposed to go around the tube just as you have it.

kbperry810

I've personally never had much success with dampeners; better to find and replace the offending tube/s.

You can usually find it by lightly tapping on each tube with a pencil, chopstick, or something of that sort, and listen for which one replicates the rattle through the speaker. Or at least that should tell you which ones to try throwing the dampeners on.

calgara12

thanks for your replies. I've tried to turn the amp on with the dampeners, and it seemed to have fixed the problem, but after a few minutes of playing i noticed a strange smell. Looks like the dampeners were about to melt so i took them off. I guess i just have to replace the tubes that produce the rattle. Again, thank you for your help. :]

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Well done. The O rings will get hot and smell, but that's normal and no need for worry

Poseidal

Are you sure they wont melt inside the amp?
Depends on what they're made of, but silicone ones that can take high temperature should be fine. They're not all the same and some smell and are harder/softer than others, so it might be worth trying some others or use ones for guitar amps (rather than hi-fi).

The rattling can be from different things. Since the ring worked (albeit with the snags) for you in eliminating the rattle, I would stick to this solution for now, just with different rings perhaps (depending on how hot the tubes get). The metal retainers are sometimes actually a source of rattling too.

I had a rattle (didn't come through the speaker though) in a SS amp that occurred at loud volume with certain notes. It turned out to be a wire that was laying on the metal chassis. Zip tied it up with other wires and the problem was solved. Something to look into.

Poseidal

I had a rattle (didn't come through the speaker though) in a SS amp that occurred at loud volume with certain notes. It turned out to be a wire that was laying on the metal chassis. Zip tied it up with other wires and the problem was solved. Something to look into.
Yeah, loads of things can cause rattle at the right resonant frequencies. I put the silicone rings on my tubes and it did eliminate the rattle, but then it recently started to rattle again and I thought "Oh no, not again", only I found it was the handle of the combo that was causing it. I managed to 'fix' it by pulling the handle up and stuffing a slide underneath it.

Trending Topics