Instant port? (not detuned)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Jan 26, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im always up for experimenting. Recently got a Lopo large 2x12 cab. My Supersonic's OD channel is a bit lacking in the low end (for my tastes).Anyhow I got to thinking of ported cabs and started eyeing the grab handles on my new 2x12. I took one out and wham significantly more bass response and fuller sound. So far I like it. Has anybody else tried this or am I the only crazy one? Bob

2. chaz

chaz Member

lol No, you're not crazy, but I've never heard of that 'technique' before. It doesn't much matter where a port is placed, it'll still work.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I wonder what size the port should be on a large 2x12 cab? The opening is 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 " . Bob

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Though there is a noticable increase in bass response and a slightly more open sound(more noticable at lower volumes) without correctly tuning the port Im a bit worried about damaging the speakers. So this experiment draws to a "close" -the handle is back in the cab. Perhaps I will try a detuned set up but it freaks me out to remove a speaker and make a 2x12 a 1x12. Bob

5. chaz

chaz Member

If you go to the Weber boards on the 'enclosures' page there's a link for a cabinet calculator. If you input all the info it will tell you the correct size port to use. As long as the resonant frequency of the cab isn't tuned below that of the speaker you are safe.