1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Instructors in Toronto??

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Robert1950, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

My story is - played for 10 years, quit for 30 and started again 6 months ago. In that time my 'ear' kept developing. Now I realize, "Boy did I suck". I've got bad habits to get rid off, I can't increase my speed, etc. etc, ad nauseum. I need lessons.

Any Toronto or GTA people out there who can recommend someone to help me out. Someonw who can give me some focus.

Thanks, .... Robert

P.S. I learn best visually and interactively. Learning from manuals, reading tab and listening to CD is such a struggle for me. Maybe that's why I'm more of natural with photography.

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

lloyd garber is very good at non traditional teaching methods and addressing the particular needs of his 'students'. a great guy for bringing out an individual style and thinking outside the learning 'guitar riffs' box.
    i googled him but came w/ thousands of entries of which were only peripherally about him.
    he used to (maybe still does) advertise in the music section of the want ads in NOW magazine. i also coulda sworn that i saw some ads that he was putting up himself on light standards and stuff.

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Thanks. I work downtown. I'll check Now and light posts (Bloor-Spadina and around)

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

5. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

A friend of mine teaches at a guitar school in downtown T.O. I can't remember the studio, but the guy's name is Mario Potestio. Great player. Great teacher. He studied with Lorne Lofsky and has a bunch of styles together, not just jazz...do a search for his name and the school site comes up...

6. joegold

joegold Member

7. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

If your interested in Jazz / Bebop and are prepared to be humbled beyond belief then Lorne Lofsky is the guy. Played and toured in Oscar Peterson's band, need I say more.

8. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I went to Humber College with Mario many years ago. The last time I saw him he was at a jam in Maple Ridge, BC while visiting family. If you see him, please say hello from Bill Miller in Vancouver. Mario is a great guitarist/musician he would be an excellent candidate for a guitar instructor.

My old friend and roomate Brian DeWolfe is an incredible jazz guitarist who would also be a great teacher (I'm still working on things he showed me 14 years ago. I've lost touch with Brian so if anyone knows him I would love to say hello. In fact there is pile of Humber alumni that I would love to reconnect with. I can be reached at wcmiller@axion.net

9. gobuds

gobuds Member

Not sure if you are interested (solely) in Jazz guitar. If not, you might also want to speak with D'arcy Wickham (http://www.darcywickham.com/). More of a generalist - chording, scales, finger-picking, slide or whatever you are interested in improving. A nice guy too.