Instructors in Toronto??

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Robert1950, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

My story is - played for 10 years, quit for 30 and started again 6 months ago. In that time my 'ear' kept developing. Now I realize, "Boy did I suck". I've got bad habits to get rid off, I can't increase my speed, etc. etc, ad nauseum. I need lessons.

Any Toronto or GTA people out there who can recommend someone to help me out. Someonw who can give me some focus.

Thanks, .... Robert

P.S. I learn best visually and interactively. Learning from manuals, reading tab and listening to CD is such a struggle for me. Maybe that's why I'm more of natural with photography.

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

lloyd garber is very good at non traditional teaching methods and addressing the particular needs of his 'students'. a great guy for bringing out an individual style and thinking outside the learning 'guitar riffs' box.
    i googled him but came w/ thousands of entries of which were only peripherally about him.
    he used to (maybe still does) advertise in the music section of the want ads in NOW magazine. i also coulda sworn that i saw some ads that he was putting up himself on light standards and stuff.

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Thanks. I work downtown. I'll check Now and light posts (Bloor-Spadina and around)

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

5. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

A friend of mine teaches at a guitar school in downtown T.O. I can't remember the studio, but the guy's name is Mario Potestio. Great player. Great teacher. He studied with Lorne Lofsky and has a bunch of styles together, not just jazz...do a search for his name and the school site comes up...

6. joegold

joegold Member

7. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

If your interested in Jazz / Bebop and are prepared to be humbled beyond belief then Lorne Lofsky is the guy. Played and toured in Oscar Peterson's band, need I say more.

8. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I went to Humber College with Mario many years ago. The last time I saw him he was at a jam in Maple Ridge, BC while visiting family. If you see him, please say hello from Bill Miller in Vancouver. Mario is a great guitarist/musician he would be an excellent candidate for a guitar instructor.

My old friend and roomate Brian DeWolfe is an incredible jazz guitarist who would also be a great teacher (I'm still working on things he showed me 14 years ago. I've lost touch with Brian so if anyone knows him I would love to say hello. In fact there is pile of Humber alumni that I would love to reconnect with. I can be reached at wcmiller@axion.net

9. gobuds

gobuds Member

Not sure if you are interested (solely) in Jazz guitar. If not, you might also want to speak with D'arcy Wickham (http://www.darcywickham.com/). More of a generalist - chording, scales, finger-picking, slide or whatever you are interested in improving. A nice guy too.