Instructors-students recording lessons?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Gham, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Gham

Gham Member

I am 53 yrs old and have only been playing about 2 yrs.In the past 3 months I started taking lessons and although my skills are a little better my knowledge is alot better.My question is do students record their lessons with a handheld recorder?
    Would it bother you to have your instruction taped?
    I find myself struggling with some rhythm tempos once I get home and would also like to gauge my progress over a period of time.
    Is their a good recorder that your student use that you would recommend for maybe under $150 or would you choose another device like a looper pedal and just take it home and practice chords or scales over that?

2. Jasco

Jasco Member

I record lessons for my students on CD-r that they can take home with them.

3. gennation

gennation Member

I practically demand that the lessons are recorded. I only do hour lessons and can give a lot of information in an hour. I like the students to be able to hear the phrases, lines, moves, etc...we are working on, as well as the discussion regarding them.

It allows the student to take the same lesson a few times and fill in the things that get forgotten between the lesson and his/her home. It's a must for getting the most out of the lessons.

I have seen everything used from a same tape cassette recorder (which you can find at 2nd hand stores), laptops with built in mics, small video cameras, and small MP3 player/recorders.

Having the lesson digitally allows the to put it on their computer and maybe slow things down, loop it, cut out any small talk, and also dub it to a CD so they can listen to it over and over in the car or something.

From time to time I'll go take lessons and I'll just let the teacher play me stuff without a lot of talking or hand holding. Then I go home and dump it on computer and chop it up or slow stuff down if needed.

You can not go wrong recording lessons.

4. soundgardener

soundgardener Member

If you have an iphone, it has a built in mic and comes with a recorder app. I use it all the time for music related stuff, and it works fantastic.

5. Gham

Gham Member

Thank you for your prompt responses,I didn't think most instructors would have a problem with recorded lessons but wanted to run it by you guys first.I do have an iPhone with a recording (voice memo) app that I really never considered until you mentioned it! I'm doing this on said iPhone right now.Thanks again-George

6. docbop

docbop Member

I find recording lessons invaluable. I can focus more not trying to remember everything, or I might be trying something and miss a teacher comment. I go back an listen to a lesson and usually hear something I missing during the lesson. I would be concerned with an instructor that didn't allow me to record my lessons.

The iPhone is handy I was just talking improv with a bass player recently and pulled out my iPhone and just sat it next to us. I had the stuff we were experimenting with to go home and transcribe.

I would say one of those little Zoom recorders would be great they sound good and small.

7. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

The Zoom H2 is your best friend for lessons.
    Although I don't record entire lessons, I record examples of phrases, chord progressions or entire pieces that students have trouble with.
    I also use it to make a backing track of just guitar with or without metronome for them to play over or I play the melody of a piece into the Zoom so they can practice their rhythm parts.

Also sometimes students record parts of the lessons themselves on their cellphone or even on cassette.

8. Gham

Gham Member

It's too difficult to quote on my iPhone but believe me I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge here guys,had I been recording from the start maybe I wouldn't have wasted so much valuable lesson time going back over things I missed/didn't understand/forgot.Oh well,at least I'm not that far into it.As for the Zoom recommendation,I will surely look into it as I like the idea of loading my lessons onto a CD or laptop and having them readily available

9. Tomo

Tomo Member

Please record your lessons with a recorder. Mac, I-pod?

Or degital camera facing to the wall. A lot of Berklee students do that way. So you can record audio only.

Tomo

10. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I'm a student and I record every lesson with my Zoom H2, quick and easy. I've never had a teacher say no to recording, even recording AV from Skype lessons.

11. Gham

Gham Member

I like this idea and will see about it tomorrow at my lesson,to make things even better I have a B-day coming up in a couple weeks and my wife was just asking what I wanted

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

I encourage it as long as they agree it's strictly for their own purposes.

13. Kappy

Kappy Member

As a student, I always (politely) ask and have yet to be denied permission. It's great to be able to listen back to remember things that were covered but weren't written down. It's also great to chart progress, hear my playing in a different context. FWIW, I'm not sure I'd stick with a teacher who denied me that option -- unless he had a really good reason/justification for not wanting to be recorded.

14. Tomo

Tomo Member

Good point! I always tell my students. It's ok as long as you don't sell it or share with others.

Tomo

15. Gham

Gham Member

I would only use it for myself and this was my major concern when asking you teachers/students how you felt about it

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

I made it nice for TGP.

What I actually tell them is that if I find one of my lessons for download or on YouTube I will find out where they live and track them to the far corners of the Earth and hunt them like dogs.

And they know I'm not kidding. I have a few ex-students here, they can vouch for me

Once we agree on and respect that, I don't care - tape it, film it, whatever, and I can be very generous with my time. Again, I totally encourage it as long as they respect my wishes to keep the actual lesson private. I assume they're going to paraphrase and share some of the information in their own words, and I'm OK with that too.

17. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Should teachers provide the recording?

18. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

There's no 'should' . I record the lesson if necessary and mail it to them as an mp3 or burn it to CD.
    But if the student wants to record it him/herself that's ok too.
    There's no contract that says the teacher has to provide the recording, unless maybe if that's what they promise to do in their advertising.

19. Gham

Gham Member

While this might be useful in some cases I find a written lesson plan jogs my memory quite well,perhaps if I needed more than that, having the session recorded as a reference would be helpful but I would not expect my teacher to provide it for free.
    Then if you have to pay him extra for it I could see how it becomes a question of who actually "owns" it.
    I went over all this with my instructor today and we have a "gentlemans agreement" that the recordings will be used by me,for me.

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

I wouldn't. The good student takes the initiative.