Instrument cable recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CharAznable, Jan 23, 2012.

1. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Let me start off by saying that I don't give two sh*ts if the cable is low capacitance, or gives me better tone or whatever. I am fine with Radio Shack gray coily cables, as was SRV. Regardless of the cable, I'll twist the knobs until I like the sound.

But what I really, really want is a cable that can take normal usage and not crap out within 6 months.

What's the best bet?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

3. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Def not my 1st choice for durability. Though they are good quality cable.

If durability is a concern and the OP doesn't want expensive (I wouldn't consider Mogami expensive)....I'd go for something like the Whirlwind Leader cable.

Used one for 15 years without a problem. Tony from Evidence audio is quoted as saying they are one of the most durable on the market, if that is your concern.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Had mine for a long time with no problems.

5. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Spectraflex. Great construction, well deserved reputation for extreme durability, cool colors, good service, lifetime warranty, reasonable price, NO SNAKE OIL.

6. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Armor Gold!! Great price, great build,and their made in the USA. I have practiced and giged mine for 3 years no with "no" problems!!

7. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

8. darkinners

darkinners Member

I use Lava cable mini elc with neutrik silver L plug, pretty good! durable and sound good

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

DiMarzio. Will survive a nuclear attack. And lead singers with very pointy shoes.

10. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Made my own. Redco.com has pretty good prices and a fairly good selection. Search "instrument cable" for cable and "cable mount" for 1/4" plugs. I've had no problems so far, I use Mogami 2524 and whatever plugs I need (usually the Redco house brand). Also, they have Switchcraft 228 Pancake plugs that I use as well, they look pretty cool on pedalboards IMO. Very high quality but they don't have a ground tab (have to make your own with solder, which kind of blows, but is really stable none the less) and are pretty dang expensive (probably for the high quality metal used, they are heavy duty!).

11. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

No cable will crap out in 6 months if it's soldered properly to good plugs. I prefer G&H, your choice of cable.

12. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I just realized that I've had my two 18' 6" ProCo Excellines for over 20 years now. Feel great. Never needed to service them. They were my main gigging cables until maybe ~5 years ago and then they became my spares (but have still seen a lot of use.) That's a little longer than 6 months, I think...definitely exceeded my expectations for an over-the-counter, budget cable. (Looking at the current offering, the plugs are not the same as mine and I don't recognize them so I can't vouch for them.)

I recently got a couple of Lava Blue Demons. They sound great, are well-built and feel strong.

My #1 from board to amp has the Lava "rock" option for even more durability. The actual cable itself was rather expensive, but you can add the rock option to a Blue Demon or anything else he offers and still have a reasonably priced, very reliable cable.

13. chervokas

chervokas Member

Exactly. If you're routinely having all sorts of different cables crap out after six months, chances are it's not the cables that are the problem but something you're doing with them. Any well shielded, well made, inexpensive guitar cable coax with a durable jacket, good plugs, well-terminated ought to last years if you don't yank 'em out by the cable, kink 'em sharply, etc. Personally I favor low cap cables (Gepco XBand) and G&H plugs. I avoid pre-pack cables with molded ends because they're hard to fix if something does go wrong. And I treat 'em nice, coiling 'em loosely and putting 'em away when I'm not using 'em. I've never had a problem with any one of 'em after years of use with either Neutrik or G&H plugs terminated either by myself, or Lava, or Stompin' Ground.

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've had my DiMarzio cable for close to 20 years and that thing has been through hell and back w/o a hitch. I use a Lava ELC for an instrument cable now because it just sounds better but I have quite a few other cables that have lasted through quite a lot, including Death Valley cable and some no name belkin + G&H store brand cables.

In fact the only ones I can remembered that died on me were Monster, Planet Waves, Spectraflex, and probably some others.

And generally, I'm not nice to my cables. If they can't survive the rigors of touring/gigging then they have no place in my rig. I mean, who has the time to properly coil a cable in the middle of tearing down for the next band?

My other thought is, always carry a backup! Buy any quality cable with a lifetime warranty so you can get a replacement if it dies and use a backup in the meantime.

15. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Yup. Dimarzio cables for me too.

16. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Vovox - I have a couple and they are really good even when out to 30'.

17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Build your own, quality cable of your choice and match up quality plugs of your choice. If you like Mogami Gold cables, it's made w/ 2524 and Nuetrik plugs. For the price of a store bought Mogami Gold, you can probably build 2 cables. The 2524 cable cost .82/ft thru Redco.com and Neutrik NPX plugs are around $3.70/each. Do the math.

18. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've used most of the popular brands, but I've been most happy with the sound and performance of my Lava cables.

19. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I've had some very cheap and some decent cables, and I've not experienced problems with them crapping out.

20. richyirich

richyirich Member