Instrument cable, which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by znerken, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

They aren't.

Kelly, Gookiecrunch, goddot and 2 others like this.
  2. childasaudience

childasaudience Member

I’ve picked up the Analysis Plus Yellow Oval 10’ which is really too nice for a 20 min practice session I may get in on a Saturday per week anymore...but it makes my brain feel good to satisfy wants and such. I also have their Pro Oval speaker cable, which again... see above comment. Super nice quality. Super stiff though.

When I got the 10’ Analysis cable, I played with my old cable first (20’ Canare GS-6), then switched it out, and my first thought was “there’s highs in my lows”. I think I was describing “clarity”. I don’t play out anymore so I don’t know where that clarity goes when the band is mixed.

I used to have Monster cables in the late 90s because they were nicer than standard, and available at guitar centers everywhere so on tour I could replace if needed. They would also walk off at shows like any other plain looking black cable, so I started to make my own by ordering Canare GS-6 cable by the foot in all sorts colours from Redco. Pair that cable with Neutrik NP2X-B gold plugs, and that’s pretty darn good. Then having orange, blue, yellow, green cables...no one can mistake that they arent mine.

If I were touring or playing local shows anymore, I’d just do the planet waves being mentioned all over this thread.

Droptop and tazzboy like this.
  3. znerken

znerken Member

So with or without kill switch? I would imagine the kill switch just being another source of potential problems..

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have literally used the same pair of 10' Monster Rock cables for over 20 years with our band. On smaller stages, I have no idea how much I have stood on them. And they are noise free and sound really good.

I also really like the Silktone cables as well. I use a pair of those with a different amp for duo gigs. Really balanced and sweet tone.

FWIW, I don't like George Ls. More highs than I like and other lower frequencies seem less. I went the whole replace everything with George Ls and was not happy with the result.

5. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

6. Malcolmallan

Malcolmallan Member

Pete Cornish or vovox

Stone Driver likes this.
  7. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Buy 20ft of Mogami wire and two Switchcraft 1/4" plugs.
    You will have a studio-grade cable for around $18, good enough for any situation.

Making cables of high quality is easy and a big $$ saver. I haven't used a commercially made cable onstage or in the studio in a long time!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. sonofiam

sonofiam Member

Would like to know what you base this comment on. About 6 months ago I tried 4 cables (15, 20, 25 and 30 ft) built with the same cable and connectors and there was a big difference in tone (darker) from the 15 to 25 ft and 20 to 30 ft. Testing them in 5 ft increments the difference was of course less but still quite discernible. I recently was using a 15 ft cable and wanted to knock of a bit of the brilliance off my tone so I made a 20 ft cable and it gave me exactly the result I was expecting, a touch less high end. I realize that a presence control can accomplish a similar effect but for some reason the cable makes a difference that sounds better to me.

goddot likes this.
  9. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

Been using Lava Coils exclusively for years now. They've always worked as well and sounded as good as anything I've tried, and I've tried most all of them.

To be clear, I've yet to have one fail and they sound great.

10. zube

zube Member

Planet Waves American Stage Cables

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Is it for you or someone who wants to sit in? ;)

[​IMG]

Caution: Do not try this at home, under any circumstances! :)

the_Chris likes this.
  12. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Vovox, great transparent tone and light as a shoelace, hard to tangle.

mute likes this.
  13. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

I went through the spending huge money on cables in the 90's like most players. I can't remember why I tried Dimarzio cables but I did & I've been using them for almost 25 years. I've never had anything else dimarzio but their cables sound & feel the best to me.

Trick Fall likes this.
  14. NelDGT

NelDGT Member

evidence audio lyric hg

Kelly likes this.
  15. Blueskies4

Blueskies4 Member

Lava clear connect. Thick cables but built to last and very good to my ears sonically.

16. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Common sense = good wire and good ends then forget about it.

I've been using George L's since the 90s. They sound fine, easy to fix, take up very little room in your bag. The straight ends are less trouble than the 90 degree ends.

I had a set of Van den Huls, used them with a Dr Z Stangray. I could not hear any improvement over the George Ls. I could hear a slight difference but couldn't decide which was better. I also have a set of Zaolla Silverlines. They are my backup cables. I thought they sounded best. The gold VdH cables were an enormous pain in the butt because they were so stiff. Kind of have a mind of their own.

IMO, cables aren't all that important if we can't do something about the plug and jack interface. Super small contact patches between them and could be affected by dirt, finger oil or corrosion. Nobody ever mentions it.

18. rolsen

rolsen Member

Just remember moving one foot in any direction relative to your amp will change how you hear highs and lows, moreso than a smidge of capacitance change. I like quality construction but $100 cables are silly.

19. pnwkiwi

pnwkiwi Member

Just e-mail the fine folks at bluejeanscable.com and ask them to make you up some in Canare GS-6 with Canare F15 plugs. Great workmanship, fast shipping and fair prices.

20. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Do you place the Analysis plus at the end of your signal or before it hits the effects? Someone told me I should have it before and after, but I figured that having it at the end would take care of an highs coming through on my low end.