Instrument cables - Monster, CoreX2

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarfish, Mar 12, 2008.

1. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Every instrument cable I've ever had has been a cheapie, no name cable. Most of the time pretty flimsy. Tonight I got a new CoreX2 cable. This thing is in a whole 'nuther league. Aside the the ends, which are gold plated, the cable itself is very rugged and stiff. After I unrolled it, it still wanted to coil back up. I guess it will loosen up over time.

Are Monster cables stiff like this? Pricewise, the CoreX2 was a $5 less, but seemed to be every bit as good.

2. wahwah

wahwah Member

I recently changed my entire rig from George L's over to Core X2 and the improvement in the overall tone was dramatic. The Core X2 is more "guitar friendly" and works much better with overdriven tones. I was finding the George L's to be just too glassy. If you're going from mediocre cables to Core X2, you're really going to notice the improvement.

Cheers...................................wahwah

3. Magnatone1960

Magnatone1960 Member

I've had a Corex2 for about five months now and I've given up thinking it will ever lose its stiffness. I can hold it about a foot from the end and it still defies gravity. There's a joke in here somewhere but I'll resist...:nono

[​IMG]

4. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Lava ELC is IMO the best cable in the about-$50-for-12 ft. category.

Very transparent, Very supple, Very Durable, and it comes in a really sexy tweed sheath.

anything from www.lavacable.com is gonna beat anything from a major retailer at the same price point.

not endorsed or anything (LOL I can hardly play well enough to be in a non-gigging band), just a happy customer.

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

I got CoreX2 speaker cables for my head-to-cabs. Noticed no difference in tone whatsoever compared to a cheap 14ga no-name cable. But at least the CoreX2 wasn't "Monster" priced and sure does "feel" like a quality cable.

Edward

6. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

The 12 CoreX2 was $25, compared to $40 for the Monster. The description for the CoreX2 says "Industrial grade outer jacket for maximum durability and long life", so I guess that explains the stiffness. The Monster says, "Extra-flexible Duraflex outer jacket for superior reliability and cut resistance", so I'm guessing it's not as stiff.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Happy with Mogami Gold. Limber, transparent, strong, lifetime warranty.

8. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I finally opted for Mulder Audio cables for my Head/Cab setup serious upgrade in sound. I'm thinking of getting lava for instruments. How much do they run typically?

9. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

:jo
    From the sixties that we revere were secretly done using prototypes of these expensive cables.