Instrument cables...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JB, Jan 12, 2008.

1. JB

JB Member

Well all was going well with my decision for some new Lava ELC Tweeds to fit my board until I got an e-mail saying they are out of stock now for two months. Two of my cables went 'missing' and I can't wait two months so now I'm stuck in choosing a new pair of cables. I'll be using them with an acoustic and a passive pickup strat. I won't be going any higher than medium gain. I'm also sick and tired of cables twisting!!! So what are your suggestions in the right pair of cables for me?

P.s. Sustain, clarity, and non twisting are the biggest factors here!

2. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

Lava ELC non-tweed, ie. the original black version. Or the ELC pedalboard kit - which IMO is fantastic. Also, the EA Melody cables from Lava are nice too.

3. JB

JB Member

Thanks but I need INSTRUMENT cables not a pedalboard kit. Also the main reason I wanted the Tweeds was for some tangle resistance. I'm tired of rubber.

4. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

1. Go to Mark's site @ Lava Cable
    2. Read the tutorial/article/comparison of the various companies.
    3. Remember not to tightly coil, crimp, bend, fist-coil your cables.
    4. Another player-oriented seller is PedalGeek.com (Dan-owner)
    5. There's another thread going on 're' cables: chk. it out.

5. guitardr

Ooops...
    I've had luck with medium guage Mogami, Tara, Analysis-Plus, Vovox and a gift of Van Den Hul ($$$). Get oygen-free, lo-capacitance with some sort of military connector(s). Also had luck with Neutrik plugs too.

6. JB

JB Member

I was just listening to Lou's comparison clip of the Sommer Stratos and the Yellow Oval cable and was wondering how the Vovox compares for cleans to the Stratos?

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I use ELC, BL and GL's. All three are very similar IMO - bright and punchy. I favor ELC by a slight margin for longer runs and BL's on the board. If you need a wider diameter than the BL's for longer runs, (many of us do) you can always buy GL's from Mark and use 'em as back ups when the ELC's come in - very cost effective way to go.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

The Vovox is a tiny bit smoother on the top end and has a little more mids. The Stratos is still my favorite cable for sparkly cleans with huge bottom, but the Vovox is 98% there on the cleans and thicker and smoother for overdrive. Lays flat and doesn't coil up.

9. JB

JB Member

Thanks a lot there Lou. Sounds like a winner to me. Just wish it wasn't so expensive. Nothing a couple extra hours of work couldn't fix though I guess.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

DiMarzio - yes - DiMarzio.
    Great sound and durable.

11. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

lava ELC from guitar to pedals and after a buffer it wont make a whole lot of differents. After pedals i use Canare cable. Its pretty good stuff and easy to work with if you make your own like I do.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I agree with RWE and Bluesman.

There are GREAT inexpensive alternatives out there (DiMarzio is one) and your choice of cable should matter most before your buffer. Both points should make cable selection much easier.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1, not expensive either and can be found at GC.

The DiMarzio cables ranked very highly in Guitar Player's cable test years ago.

14. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

The Analysis Plus adds a whole new world of dimesion that you never new existed from your gear. The Van den Hul lacks the lower depth of the Analysis Plus, but adds another level of air and extention to your highs. The $100 for the yellow oval is a steal in terms of tone. The Van den Hul suits a clean articulate palyer with a sensitive touch.

Donm't forget about the Klotz la Grange. It is only $50, but honestly sounds sterile and clinical when compared to the Analysis Plus. But for those that want a clear and accurate dry tone with no audiophilia, it is a great buy.

The Analysis Plus is very thick and will not curl up, but the shiny clear jacket is better suited to the studio than the stage. The Van den Hul is more traditional looking save for the baby poop brown scheme.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

Is this post serious?

I'm sorry but I've tried all the cables you mention and while there are differences between them, reading your post makes it sound like there are huge differences, which imo there are not.

The AP Yellow is very dark and midrangey, a steal at $100?.....I would take a DiMarzio or George L's over it.

16. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

why would you buy a 100 dollars 10 feet cable when you can get a 1000 dollars 6 feet cable?

17. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

No money washing needed this month?
    someone likes being played for a fool?
    and someone likes being played for a bigger fool?

What PT Barnun said!

18. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

In regards to the outer jacket of the Lava ELC's, the regular black instrument cable is pretty slick and I've had no problems with it rubbing and catching on anything.

19. doublee

doublee Member

Is there any agreement that the first cable out of the guitar is the only one that matters? I may have paraphrased...

e

20. guitardr

I always thought (along with doublee) that the first cord out of your instrument was/is the most important. But if it's plugged into a device (or others) that don't have analog bypass, or into a loop that's not buffered: almost anyone can hear the loss. Bottom line: the annoying crackle of a pricey cable (or less expensive for that matter) is a royal pain. Back in the day, Jeff Beck did a show at the old Granada Theater on Chicago's North side, and his tech coiled up one of the first Monster cables I ever saw. He did a "Will Rogers" number by making a large coil similar to a lariat with it. Funny thing was: I swear I heard that thing make some noise when JB was moving it around on the floor of that old barn. When I asked the tech he said that the place did NOT have decent grounding. All JB had was a ProCo Rat on the floor at that gig. So maybe there's more than one source for noise/poor fidelity for a guitarist to contend with. Guys: what is the consensus?