Instrument vs speaker cable. Difference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cmr415, May 16, 2008.

1. cmr415

cmr415 Member

Im getting an ext. cab for my amp and need a cable. The cable I need would be exclusivly for the ext cab. Whats the difference between a speaker cable and an instrument cable? Can an instrument cable be used with good results, or is this something that only a dedicated, designed speaker cable can deliver? :JAM

2. geetarman

geetarman Supporting Member

Instrument cable is shielded and a speaker cable is unshielded. No DO NOT use an instrument cable for speakers. :nono

3. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Instrument cable will hurt your amp and ruin the cable :(

4. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

what he said.

speaker cable is a much thicker gauge, designed to handle higher voltages. instrument cables are much thinner, and under high stress *could* crap out, leading to disastrous results, especially with tube amps.

5. cmr415

cmr415 Member

Thanks guys. I thought I had heard there was a potential for disasterous results, but I couldn't remember. Oh well, looks like I have an excuse to buy another Lavacable.com goodie

6. Joe_Zimmerman

Joe_Zimmerman Member

Instrument cables are indeed a smaller gauge wire. They cannot carry the current that a 'speaker' cable can carry. I do know people that use instrument cables for speaker cables but I wouldn't. If it happens to burn out (like a fuse) while playing it may hurt the amplifier.