Instrumental covers of vocal songs, like this...

johann

There's "A day in the life" by Jeff Beck, also with Jimmy Herring.

There's this version of "Within you, without you" from the Beatles, with Herring. Which other covers like these do you like??

marvin cobain

being a jazz fan I can mention many standards. September song in the version made by Red Norvo, Charles Mingus and Tal Farlow. I'll remember april played by George Shearing. I'll be around (Alec Wilder) played by Marian McPartland. Ev'ry time we say goodbye played by Coltrane. Summertime played by Sidney Bechet. Danny boy played by Ted Greene.
Stella by starlight played by Lenny Breau or Genil Castro.
Talking of Beck there's obviously also Cause we've ended as lovers.
I rember having heard many interesting versions of Norvegian wood (I remember especially one played by two acoustic guitarists that was just beautiful, but sadly I don't know who they were) and While my guitar gently weeps.

Anyway, thank you for those video, Herring is a wonderful guitarist.

Last edited:

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
This is a rather obscure instrumental by Link Wray doing the Beatles "Please Please Me":

rwmct

Mick Ronson (RIP) used to do this well. When on the road with Ian Hunter, they used to open with "FBI" :

and he also did a nice job on "Sweet Dreams":

johann

Ok, I know many of the jazz standards. But how about something like Beck and Herring did??

Crazyquilt

The Fool
Gold Supporting Member
Bill Frisell has been doing this sort of material often in the last few years. There's Imagine (all Lennon covers), Guitar in the Space Age ( mostly early 60s rock standards) and When You Wish Upon A Star (classic soundtracks -- from the title song to Morricone to Psycho...) His approach is somewhere between jazz and Beck, but with the kinds of entrancing atmospherics that Mr. Bill is so well acclaimed for as additional spice.

Yer Blues

Jimmy Herring is a pretty unique player. I don't think there is too much stuff out there like him. Neal Schon had an album out called Voices where he played guitar over pop songs. It sounds awesome, but doesn't sound like Herring.

Trending Topics