Insulation in old Fender cabs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Beam Tetrode, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Hello! I just received a '66 Bassman speaker enclosure sans speakers. The cab is full of yellow insulation that appears to be original. Is this stuff a health risk, carcinogen, etc? If so, what is the best way to deal with removal and disposal of the material, and what should I replace it with? Thanks...

2. AR-305

AR-305 Member

Might be wrong but I always thought it was good old fiberglass; which I don't care much about breathing or getting on my skin or in my eyes.

3. localmotion411

localmotion411 Gold Supporting Member

Ooh, be careful if it is in fact fiberglass insul. That stuff sucks in every way when it comes in contact with fleshy humanoids.

I have a Mojo 2x12 that I bought off a forum member and it came with synthetic batting material similar to what you're talking about. I wonder what kind of difference it makes in tone. You may want to replace it with the synthetic type.

4. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I would suspect it is fiberglass insulation the same sort used in house walls. That is what I have mostly seen in any speaker box I took apart. As long as it is in a closed cab I would not worry about it.

5. RonnyLee

RonnyLee Member

Yes, it is fiberglass insulation as used in houses.