• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Integrated amp with minimal inputs

joolzriff

Currently looking to replace my aging Linn pretek/Powertek combo -(sounds congested and weak - doesn’t like busy music )
I would like an amp with an awesome phono stage and 1/2 line inputs - real minimalist amp -
I use a Rega p1 TT and Kef q300 speakers - listen to hard rock predominantly

captwillard

Currently looking to replace my aging Linn pretek/Powertek combo -(sounds congested and weak - doesn’t like busy music )
I would like an amp with an awesome phono stage and 1/2 line inputs - real minimalist amp -
I use a Rega p1 TT and Kef q300 speakers - listen to hard rock predominantly
Rega might be a good choice.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
I have been testing out a McIntosh MC 252. It sounds great for a small to mid sized system. Very minimal. And it has tubes, which us cool.

art_z

Silver Supporting Member
Love my old Classe CAP-150. A couple single ended inputs, a balanced input and a phono input

chromewaves

I've got a Rega Brio-R - precursor to the current model - and it's almost as minimal as you can get. 50WPC, 4 line inputs, 1 MM phono input. Sounds great. Only thing I wish it had were pre-outs so I could hook up a power amp without having to buy a whole new amp, but nothing's perfect.

It's also physically minimal as it's half the size of standard components!

I had not clicked on your link and totally missed your Sprout shout out. I guess great minds think alike, huh?
PS Audio is a certainly a quality producer of high-end gear - many Stereophile class B and C recommended components from them over the years
Sprout 1.0 was a class C amp for the magazine in '17
"PS Audio Sprout: $499 $$$
Designed in Colorado, and built in China, the PS Audio Sprout is a compact (6" W by 1.75" H by 8" D) integrated amplifier with built-in MM phono preamp, 24-bit/192kHz USB D/A converter, and Bluetooth receiver. The Sprout's class-D power amp can deliver up to 33Wpc across an 8-ohm load, and its front panel incorporates a ¼" headphone jack, use of which automatically mutes the loudspeaker output. In his review, HR observed that the Sprout occasionally lent the sound "a trace of darkness—not grayness or lack of color," but he found that the little Sprout consistently "demonstrated an ability to engage my attention and keep it locked on the space, character, and artistry of the music being played." HR also felt that the Sprout's Bluetooth wireless performance was "richer, more detailed, less hollow and vapid than any Bluetooth sound I've tried so far," though he found the Sprout's sound through headphones less rich than through speakers. Apart from a response-curve bump centered at 67Hz, JA's measurements uncovered nothing untoward. HR's conclusion: "The Sprout specialized in the beguiling reproduction of every kind of music I sent through its four inputs." The price dropped from $799 to $499 in September 2015. (Vol.38 No.5 WWW)"

Trending Topics

Top Bottom