1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Intellifex Blackface Tones

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Leon Todd, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

I've had an Intellifex for close to a decade now and never took the time to really dive deep with it. Reading some of the threads on here and the old HRI site inspired me to pull it out and learn the interface, routing and what each parameter does and I was able to dial up some tones I was really happy with.

Anyone else still rocking one of these with any tips they'd like to share?

2. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Man, thanks for this. I had been wondering quite a bit about how these things sound and it's a pleasure to see a proper demo. I've got a friend over in Perth from a band called, Lowtide. I would imagine you guys would get along nicely.

mourguitars and Leon Todd like this.
  3. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

I'd been meaning to really dig into, but I couldn't find the right power supply; ended up it was sitting right in front of me on my desk for a few weeks :rolleyes: I've got plenty more digging to do with this one and it's cousin the Replifex, so i'll post some more demo's over the next few weeks.

I'll check out Lowtide for sure!

mourguitars likes this.
  4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I find the only reason to use an Intellifex is the 8 voice chorus IF working in specific delay times ranges, as it lacks microdelay fine resolution... where a lot of the fun stuff happens (psycho.acoustic panning and more...).
    Delays are... not so well quantized. No Tap Tempo. Very poorly dimensional and sterile sound.
    Reverb... brittle and harsh.
    Pitch... that may be ok for some work actually.
    But the 8 voice chorus, MONO IN/Stereo out, has its nice thing.

P.S. there is NO modulated reverb on the Intellifex.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  5. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

Sounds great Leon ! Great old unit....Cant wait for the Replifex, i would like to hear the Replifex run in front of the amp like i read some do. Keep up the good work !

Mike

Leon Todd likes this.
  6. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

I agree that the lack of delay tap tempo is disappointing. I found myself gravitating towards the 8V chorus as my favourite feature.

Do you have any experience with the pitch block or any general pointers?

You're right about the modulated reverb too, I confused a preset name in there with an algorithm.

That's how I'm planning on running it, should be fun!

mourguitars likes this.
  7. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

Ive loaded Ryans presets in the Intellifex and haven't been more happier, i run mine with a JMP-1 currently but i also run the intellifex in the loop of the Prophesy...for what style of music i play its pretty awesome ! Ryan made some killer tones with this unit, he's a good talent and has a great ear. I have the Ax8 and i wonder who's presets i use ? You the man Leon ! There is something about my old rack stuff that i love, and i look on CL daily for old units...This forum creates GAS !

Great video btw !

Mike

Mark Robinson and Leon Todd like this.
  8. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Nothing really important worth noting, other than there are no optimization/deglitching parameters so the best performance is definitely detuning rather than large intervals.
    Strictly monophonic pitch detection as it is usually the case. Not necessarily bad as chords shifting is somehow pointless and never precise.
    Tone isn't very refined... probably the best results come out of classic distorted guitar lines, adding one or two pitch shifted versions for harmony lines.
    They didn't have much pitch shifting technology back then, which is the main reason Wave Mechanics (H3000 creators previously working at Eventide) was brought in to develop the IntelliPitch... a much better pitch shifter. I have owned the Intelliverb and own the 'fex-LTD. For the price they come these days it's a no brainer for the chorus alone. Still staying cheap... I'd use other processors for delays and reverb, probably adding the Intellipitch for shifters work. That would also free the processor from delivering all those fx in single algorithms.
    A cheap system, using a line mixer... Intellifex for chorus, Lexicon LXP1 or 15 for reverb, Yamaha D5000... a KILLER device for everything echo or a Korg DL8000R. Add the Intellipitch and you have a great system for very budget-friendly costs.

Leon Todd likes this.
  9. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Those presets are really good. That's so cool that you're digging the AX8 presets too :)

Thanks Italo, I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some of those units to add to the rack. Is the RJM mini line mixer worth checking out?

mourguitars likes this.
  10. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I'm not too crazy about running effects in a way thy don't interact. The RJM MM is ok to create a parallel fx loop but the effects you connect to it run separated.
    You want to apply delays to a modulation effect, or decide to have reverb processing other effected signals.
    My choice of any mixer requires Aux Sends on board... that's where the fun starts and you get to create overall sounds with an architecture.

Leon Todd likes this.
  11. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

@Leon Todd , this is the best demo I've ever seen of this box!

Check your PM soon...

Luke Gibson and Leon Todd like this.
  12. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

Thanks Mike :)

What was the last batch of presets you got for this, by the way?

13. PSH

PSH Member

The chorus on the high gain riffing sounds really good, I would like to pick one of these boxes up.

Leon Todd likes this.
  14. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

It was the old one drive link i had, that has 1-6-2012 folder on the page Ryan...i can't find my other ones you done,...well except thats in my Intellifex !

Thats the best demo on youtube !

Mike

15. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

It's worth getting for that sound. IIRC the 8V chorus in the Intelliverb was a big part of the STP "Plush" sound.

16. phil b

phil b Member

Ok, So does anyone else have a blackface thats so early it doesnt have the ability to send or receive sysex messages? :confused:
    I thought I was going crazy so I checked my LTD and its in there. Emailed a buddy of mine who worked at Rocktron and apparently this was the case on some early units. o_O

Leon Todd likes this.
  17. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

I'll have to check with mine and let you know.

18. phil b

phil b Member

Cool, thanks. I originally wanted to load Ryans presets in my blackface and thats when I discovered mine cant send or receive sysex. They sounded really good on the LTD though!

19. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I use one in conjunction with a Carvin XP2 and a Yamaha SPX90ii. It has an analog dry path and sounds much less sterile with the help of the other two. So it's not exceptional on it's own but it's a good team player. Try making some edits on the 'Flange Delay' patch...it's pretty cool.

Leon Todd likes this.
  20. RockinRob

RockinRob Member

I bought mine in 1992 new, and it has never left my rack. I love the damn thing, and have never found a unit I liked enough to replace it. Sure other models do more but the 'ole fex has a purity about it I always come back to.

Luke Gibson and Leon Todd like this.