Interest noisy Les Paul scenario. Feel free to share your thoughts *pic added

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sixstring531, Mar 15, 2015.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

2013 Les Paul Tradional w/ Duncan Antiquities

The issue is, this is by far the noisiest Les Paul I've ever owned. I've owned many and used Seth Lovers and Antiquities before and never had this kind of buzz. It obviously leaves once I touch metal, and I've checked the wiring for anything weird on multiple occassions and I just can't figure it out. It's even louder (when not grounding it) than my strat.

One interesting thing I noticed today: if I rub something (the keys in my pocket, my knuckle...) across the back control plate, I can make an electrical scratchy sound come through. It's the weirdest thing!

Right now my thoughts are on the larger orange drop caps that came in this model. I've already insured they are not touching the control plate, but I cant think of anything else that may cause the excessive noise and/or the weird scratching when I rub my knuckle across the back of the control plate.

I've tested multiple locations, cables and straight into the amp.

So, TGP members, do you have any suggestions? I've never had a Les Paul with this much buzz. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

can you post a picture of the wiring cavity? probably something amiss in there.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the caps have nothing to do with anything.

my guess is a lack of shielding, which is where that extra buzz that goes away when you touch metal comes from.

what would be worse is improper shielding that's not grounded, that will add noise instead of blocking it.

4. sws1

sws1 Member

Maybe the grounding wire from the bridge got disconnected?

5. sixstring531

I thought about the bridge ground, but since it quits when I touch metal, I assume it is connected.

Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

6. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

I normally ground all four pots. Looks like you've only got one on the common ground wire (bare wire exiting at the top left of the pic).

Edit..nevermind. I didn't see the metal grounding plate under the pots.

7. sixstring531

Yeah, there is nothing out of the ordinary in the cavity. This is my 7th or 8th LP and I almost always changes the pickups to these, Seth Lovers or Shaws and for the life of me I just can't figure out why this one has more noise. I took the pic then cleaned up some of the bridge wiring, but other than that, I'm stumped!

8. Ridethe335

Ridethe335 Member

The plastic gets staticy believe it or not. Try rubbing a bounce sheet on the control covers. Sounds wierd but works for me.

9. sixstring531

inside or outside of the cover?

10. Ridethe335

Ridethe335 Member

Unscrew it and rub the whole thing. Works like a charm.

11. sixstring531

*Update*

The dryer sheet took the cover static away, but the noise was still there. I copper tape shielded it and it sounds normal now. I guess it was just a noisy LP!

12. Ulug

Ulug Member

I had a slight noise issue with Antiquity humbuckers too once, and ended up rewiring the guitar using military grade RG 174 coax, which happened to fix it. FYI, this is a coaxial cable used in radars and military communications units, and it has extensive shielding against external interference. Perhaps I was just lucky, don't know, but the extra noise sure disappeared.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  13. ModdersAnon

ModdersAnon Member

Both my LP and my Firebird have the static-y back plate issue. It drove me crazy until I figured out what was causing it. :bkw A quick search here at TGP confirmed it was the case.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

don't know about that specific cable, but sometimes that kind of non-guitar coax is very high capacitance, which means it's possible your noise went away because your high end went away with it!

15. Ulug

Ulug Member

Now that explains why I tend to go for a few beers before the gig.

16. Ulug

Ulug Member