• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Interested in Deluxe Reverb tone, but want it to be better than what Fender offer

Telejester

Before somebody suggests the 64 Handwired, yep I considered that one . Sadly the shared reverb is very well documented for having more than acceptable levels of background noise. I have zero interest in 68 model and the build quality of the 65 reissue is nothing to write home about.
Who makes an amp that is boutique hand wired with not a pcb in sight and built to a standard instead of down to a price ? I had considered the tone king imperial mk11 but a look inside shows it has its tubes on the pcb, not what I want at all. The amp ive been looking for is what will be a keeper. Easy to maintain , takes any pedals you care to put in front of it and makes every time you switch it on feel like opening presents on xmas day when you are a kid.
Im starting to think the amp that gives me that warm rosy glow just doesnt exist as every amp ive looked at has something I dont like about it. Are there any boutique amps out there that I havent mentioned here ,which are not made by Fender, but deliver the deluxe reverb tone in spades ?

jdel77

Before somebody suggests the 64 Handwired, yep I considered that one . Sadly the shared reverb is very well documented for having more than acceptable levels of background noise. I have zero interest in 68 model and the build quality of the 65 reissue is nothing to write home about.
Who makes an amp that is boutique hand wired with not a pcb in sight and built to a standard instead of down to a price ? I had considered the tone king imperial mk11 but a look inside shows it has its tubes on the pcb, not what I want at all. The amp ive been looking for is what will be a keeper. Easy to maintain , takes any pedals you care to put in front of it and makes every time you switch it on feel like opening presents on xmas day when you are a kid.
Im starting to think the amp that gives me that warm rosy glow just doesnt exist as every amp ive looked at has something I dont like about it. Are there any boutique amps out there that I havent mentioned here ,which are not made by Fender, but deliver the deluxe reverb tone in spades ?
You rang?

Mojo Shinn

Silver Supporting Member
There are a number of builders who make hand wired blackface amps (or variations on that circuit). Off the top of my head:
  • Vintage Sound
  • Headstrong
  • Magic
  • Victoria
  • Louis Electric
  • Carr
  • Gries
  • Tyler Amp Works
I'd also look at Magnatone too.. although not technically based on a blackface, their Twilighter amps are in that ballpark.

Last edited:

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
I have not played through one of these HW 64 DR amps. I have modified some vintage Fenders to have reverb and trem on both channels and have never incurred any noise problems. I see that some believe that changing the power supply resistors can eliminate some of the hiss they find in this HW 64DR. Carl’s Custom…no affiliation….offers a modification package. It would be a simple experiment to pull the effects off of that Normal channel to see what change might occur. I expect there would be very little change, ime.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah I'd buy the Headstrong Royal Reverb if that was my goal. If you don't need/want that second channel take a look at the Headstrong Lil King S as well. With 6l6's installed it's a 25 watt Princeton Reverb in a 1x12 cab. I like it better than a Deluxe Reverb but YMMV and all that.

I had a Fender '64 Custom Deluxe and didn't find it particularly noisy. My only issue with that amp is that even with a more efficient speaker that amp starts compressing and getting hair at too low a volume for my tastes. Also nothing I plugged in to the Trem channel with the bright cap sounded that great - it's was channel 1 all the time for me. It's a great amp tho.

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
That Headstrong Lil King amp has a cathodyne PI and bias vary trem. Those two aspects differ from a DR….,what one prefers is subjective.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
Oldfield Amps here in Charlotte does a great job with these sorts of circuits. They always kept my vintage Fenders sounding their best. I think their own take makes some changes (more control over the reverb, bias vary trem), but Paul Gussler at Oldfield has a great set of ears and the know how to make it sound right.

Stratofuzz

Silver Supporting Member
My answer to that question was a Mesa Boogie Blue Angel

Hand wired​
6V6 tubes​
Has a mid knob​
Excellent Reverb​
Was only $750​

Yes, the 6V6's are rated at only 15 watts so headroom is theoretically less.
Audibly, it keeps Deluxe Reverb clean for the volume I need it for.
The dirty sounds better to me.

And I have a Bearfoot Silver Bee to help it sound a little more Fender.

Telejester

Yeah I'd buy the Headstrong Royal Reverb if that was my goal. If you don't need/want that second channel take a look at the Headstrong Lil King S as well. With 6l6's installed it's a 25 watt Princeton Reverb in a 1x12 cab. I like it better than a Deluxe Reverb but YMMV and all that.

I had a Fender '64 Custom Deluxe and didn't find it particularly noisy. My only issue with that amp is that even with a more efficient speaker that amp starts compressing and getting hair at too low a volume for my tastes. Also nothing I plugged in to the Trem channel with the bright cap sounded that great - it's was channel 1 all the time for me. It's a great amp tho.
One supremely good clean channel in an amp that takes pedals fantastically well
Correct, but the OP could have just said "I want a boutique version of a Fender Deluxe" but instead he led with nonsense about the Fenders not being solidly built amps.
you ever see psionic amps appraisal of the 65 deluxe reverb ? he doesnt say its a bad amp, but it could be an awful lot better. props to them for not having pcb mounted tubes, but those wafer thin boards , the way they join one board to another and garbage quality caps are unforgivable at that price point imo.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom