Interesting approach to straight string pull on a classic style headstock.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by onemoretime, Oct 30, 2019.

1. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I think the concept is great. Now picture this. I think the look would be more pleasing if the posts got further apart as they got closer to the headstock instead of closer together. So put the big and little E tuners at the top, and work down from there. Yes that reverses the normal tuning arrangement but after a short time, we'd adapt just like we adapt going from three on a side to six on a side, or at least I do.

Doesn't solve the issue of special tuners though. And yes, they can get damaged. I guess they could include a spare set in the case...but that is not why this didn't catch on. It is a classic example of guitar players needing form over function.

hunter

2. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Yep, I totally get what you're saying. I agree that trying to create something off the Gibson headstock is probably why Yamaha tried this.

For me, however, it is the epitome of the uncanny valley.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. Bodeanicus

Bodeanicus Member

Carbohydrates likes this.
  4. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Interesting. The guitar I designed and built in the early 90s has a similar rear mounted output jack. In my case, a standard Strat type jack plate. Works great and this is the first production guitar I’ve ever seen using the idea.

I can’t take credit though. I was working with a luthier and it was his idea.

5. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Realistically, it’s unlikely more than one would go bad and I’m guessing it could be repaired. I’ve had a set of Sperzels on one guitar for nearly 30 years.
    Bummer for those guys that just have to swap parts out though. You know who you are.

6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

It's just one of those things where there's no reason not to have it. No, it's not the end of the world if your strings break at the nut at a lateral angle, but there's no certainly benefit to it. If you can achieve a straight pull, why not?

7. GA20T

GA20T Member

Despite not having seen it in existence, every time I've looked at a 3+3 headstock this is precisely what has popped into my head, ex. "Why don't they just make the string path straight and extend the posts?" But there would have to be unified dimensions across brands and models to pull it off I suppose.

8. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

Those very long tuner shafts will probably bend very easily if that guitar ever falls off the stand or bumps into something. That being said, love the engineering I’m seeing on this guitar. It’s like a purpose built sports car.

9. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Brian Moore guitars had this setup for some time now.

hunter

10. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

In what way would this even be underrated lol it will undoubtedly without question help tuning stability. This is objective fact lol

11. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

Am I missing something? It's straight when viewed from above. So what? Look at it from the side, there's the necessary break angle. Either your nut slots are filed correctly for the string or they're not.

12. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

13. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

I’m glad you’re not in charge, dude. Wanna bet your own retirement on that? Ouch!

On the other hand, while the design works in theory, you have to design and make 6 individual tuners which doesn’t work in practice. Plenty of manufacturers have designs that don’t pose a problem, or invest enough in making sure the workers have the time to set up the instruments correctly before sending them out.

14. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

CanserDYI likes this.
  15. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

I think he was talking about the narrow headstock used on the DC Pro's that he linked, not the Yamaha design. The DC Pro headstock could definitely benefit from some stylistic refinement, but I much prefer the idea of a narrow headstock to dealing with the tuning issues that plagues most guitars with Gibson-style headstocks.

Bodeanicus likes this.
  16. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I’m not surprised there are others, I just never saw any. Of course I was aware of Brian Moore Guitars, but I’ve never actually looked one over. Funny, when I’m doing a show with that guitar, I’m very often approached by guitar players who’ve never seen one plug in to the back like that. Of course that speaks less to it being unique than to the dominance of a handful of traditional designs.

17. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

I understood him. I’d say DC pros are widely available, if that is one’s preference.

18. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Personally never noticed a need for this since the standard Gibson style string pull has never been a problem for me in regards to tuning. So I don’t even consider how the strings pull. In fact none of the guitars I currently own(5 at the moment) have straight string pull. And the two I just sold did have straight string pull. None have tuning issues but the two that stays in tune best(like stay in tune perfectly, even with heavy bending) don’t have straight string,... go figure.

My point is basically that it just doesn’t matter as much as a lot of folks claim or believe.

Most tuning issues can be resolved by properly restringing a guitar ime.

19. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

My biggest issue guitars in my whole life in terms of tuning stability is specifivally the Gibson headstock with the RADICAL pulls on the middle strings. You might have gotten lucky with your axes, but by far this is the biggest guitar flaw of our age that is still done for tradition. Theres a reason this is a topic, you might have just gotten lucky.

And restringing usually wont fix your tuning issue, most of the time its a NUT issue, not a string issue or string pull issue. If you have a well cut nut this can compensate for the bad angle.

Pablo likes this.
  20. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

If so, I don't understand your comment stating "you have to design and make 6 individual tuners which doesn’t work in practice." That really only applies to the Yamaha design, not the DC Pro design.

Bodeanicus likes this.