Interesting drum track creation

CptnMayo

I basically have no idea how to make drum tracks to coincide with tricky guitar parts.

I've been watching YouTube tutorials for months, trying to figure out how to make these things work with a different time signature. The plugin works fine, I can get it to do the standard clips and timings into the song, but how do you record your own parts to fit with your music?

Music is a personal thing and as a person who doesn't have access to a good drummer, I kind of have to make my own parts.

Are there any resources too where musicians get together over the internet and collaborate?

Thanks.

I stuck in a recording to give you an example. It's a little sloppy but it's a rough cut, just trying to get these things working with one another.

lang.murphy

My experience is with Garage Band. Might apply to other tools... can't say for sure. You need to break down the "tricky parts" into separate sections. The first 8 bars are 4/4... when it gets to the 9th bar, you've lost me and, sorry, I'm not going to try and count it out because I might count it differently than you. For the sake of argument, let's say there are 6 different "phrases" in the tricky part... You'll need to create 6 different... Hmmm, been a while... sections (?) to match the guitar. If that makes any sense.

And I could be horribly mistaken. :p

There was some rushing in there that isn't going to make things any easier on you, but the above poster is right -- if you're auto generating drums then you need to make sure the time signature is correct before each section begins. Easiest way to do this that I can think of is with Logic Pro, the "Drummer" tool, and several time/tempo changes over the course of the track.

What tutorials / plugin are you using?

Able Grip

Have you tried EZdrummer/Superior Drummer? Toontrack stuff is really good.

You will have to plot it all out so you are playing to a proper click track.

I like your guitar sound. Would you be willing to share how you got it?

Shiny McShine

First off, nice job on recording a very concise simple idea with a strong pulse. I would refer to this as more of a basic rock rhythm than a tricky guitar part (ala King Crimson Fripp/Belew Era).

The hardest part about this kind of idea is keeping the drums really really really simple. You could try to program it in a drum sequencer but it will never really sound real because this sort of track demands authenticity due to it's primal essence. You're going to have to use a live drummer.

And yes, to the above poster, I noticed the tempo slow down too but could easily play around that myself (though that needs to be fixed).

If you don't have a live drummer who can follow tempo changes, I'd echo the advice to use a click track. This helps for more than just keeping time; it also acts as a navigational aid for cut/paste later. And for a non-drummer, quantize is your friend.

Disclaimer- my days as an engineer/producer are far behind me, and the following suggestions may be twenty-five years out of date. So with that said, I'll describe how I used to do it. Take what you will from it and kindly disregard what's no longer relevant.

When doing drums from scratch on a keyboard I found it convenient to use several MIDI tracks that later got merged, rather than trying to do too much together. First step was to add a reference hihat to the click track (just straight eighth or sixteenth notes because it'd be redone later). Next kick & snare to get the feel & main beat happening, then a proper hihat track with dynamics & articulation. Doing it in segments can be simpler, though less interesting; you block out each section, then just cut & paste. It can get a bit complicated to add fills that feel natural though. The building-block method works well for material that benefits from steady beats and doesn't need to feel too organic.Also, odd time signatures will require separate sections with the program set up for whatever time signature you're using.

For a more live effect, I often tried to do takes straight through. I'd split out the existing kick beat to keep, then record a full take of hihat, snare, fills & crashes, remembering to punch the kick under each crash. Once I had versions I liked (this usually required multiple takes and/or assembly), I'd merge the kick back in. That worked pretty well for me on rock tunes. Of course, for more complex stuff nothing beats an actual drummer- even if he's playing on trigger pads rather than a real drum kit.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom