Interesting info from GW on EVH's Picking and tremelo techniques

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikeratan00, Apr 6, 2015.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

2. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

Picking like Eddie, where it's more of the whole hand versus tiny precise movements, always seemed more natural to me.

Whatever works for each person is what we ought to go with. Isn't that part of what makes us unique?

3. monty

monty Member

Very interesting, thanks OP.

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Watch some classical mandolin players when they tremolo. You'll see where he got the forearm rotation from.

:aok

5. straycat113

straycat113 Member

It is kind of funny because Eddie doesn't tremolo pick with a middle-index grip he uses just his middle and thumb as can be seen in the pics and which is the way he always picked. I think he confused him with Steve Morse. A lot of legendary players do things in an unorthodox, whatever felt natural to them as a kid way. There is no right or wrong way to do anything on a guitar as long as you can do it. For ages old school teachers would tell players to keep their thumb of the fretboard, yet it would be basically impossible to play Hendrix style rhythm if your thumb didn't fret the low E or help mute the A string. Now today it is totally acceptable and even a lot of Jazz players use their thumb for insane voicings.