1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Interesting New McIntosh All-In-One system with turntable

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by amigo30, Feb 9, 2019.

1. amigo30

amigo30 Member

McIntosh announced an interesting new product - the MTI100.

[​IMG]

It's a McIntosh tube preamp, solid-state amp, dac, phono-preamp, and turntable all rolled into one. Just add whatever speakers you like!

[​IMG]

It looks like the turntable is VPI based (by the look of the tonearm and platter) , and the preamp/amp based around the McIntosh MA252. I believe it's going to run about $6500.00.

I can't decide if it's the coolest thing ever for a simple good-quality system or one of those odd products that won't catch on.

redacted, Killed_by_Death and yakyak like this.
  2. captwillard

captwillard Member

I’d be surprised if they sold a bunch, but I’m sure they will sell some. I can’t see this in the McIntosh catalog for a long time. It’s interesting that they are expanding the number of solid state products without their autoformers.

3. amigo30

amigo30 Member

That's an interesting comment - I agree.

McIntosh still works out of their original manufacturing plant where they were founded decades ago in Binghampton NY. It's a kind of a small manufacturing type town, so there's only so much labor-force they can pull from.

So - it makes you wonder if it's a strategy to increase their line without the manufacturing time of making the autoformers, or if it's just a strategy to get consumers into the brand at a lower price point. Maybe both..

4. captwillard

captwillard Member

It could also be a way to slowly move away from Autoformers. There are a lot of great (and better) solid state amp makers and designs out there that don't use autoformers.

5. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

the logo on that thing needs to be bigger . . .

(sarcasm)

6. rust_in_peace

rust_in_peace Member

It's an interesting concept, but I really doubt they will sell very many. Most people who are spending that kind of money on a system are going to want to have separate components. The all-in-one system makes sense for the new-comers to vinyl, but i don't see it being a draw for audiofiles.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I had one of those back in the 1960s. Mine was better. as you could fold the turntable up out of the way when not in use. :banana

Kurzman likes this.
  8. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

If this was like, a third of the MSRP, would make a lot more sense I think. I just feel like if I had $6500 for a hifi setup burning a hole in my pocket, I could do a lot more damage with it than this one little unit. The brand name, convenience, and form factor isn't a strong enough value proposition for me even though I'm sure it's a pretty bitchin little unit.

9. Old Man Old Wood

Old Man Old Wood Member

I agree with VPI turntable and I would prefer the MA252, the two purchased separately would save around $2,000.00.