Interesting: Someone tried to scam me

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Formvar, May 4, 2015.

1. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

I`ve had a museum piece '55 Strat for sale here on TGP and ebay. It`s a high value item and I received a message on ebay a few days ago:

Will buy it NOW for $73,500 for Fed Ex Priority Overnight shipping, reply with your paypal email asap so I can make a direct payment! Serious buyer

No one that I know would be willing to send that kind of $ without having dialogue around it. I let him know that I was a bit confused around his ask for my paypal address for immediate payment without discussing first. I gave him my phone # and said that I would give him my paypal address if we could discuss over the phone.

This is where it got strange. He called and the number came up as "No Caller ID" He then texted and said he needed my paypal. I told him to call back. We got on the phone and he was pretty calm and said that he owned a couple pre-war Martins and that he was a collector. He told me that he could tell the guitar was straight from the pics. Seemed ok, so I gave him my paypal address. I then asked him his name and shipping address. He wanted me to ship it FEDEX next day tomorrow.

While I was talking to him I ran a search and sure enough google showed me a couple websites that said to watch out for this guy. He does Craigslist and paypal scams where he sends a fake email branded Paypal, saying you received a payment and it is ok to ship the item. At that point, I told him that a search showed him as a scam artist and I was not going to do the transaction. His response was; "Oh, ok" and he hung up.

My question is should I be worried that this guy now has my name, email/paypal address and phone number?

2. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Be careful. He knows you have a high value item and has your address. Best store it someplace secure if you have not already.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry. That stuff isn't hard to find. I don't want to sound creepy, but I found your name, address and phone number in about 30 seconds just to see if I could.

4. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I don't see where the scammer has OP's physical address.

You should have let him send you the fake email so you could get a shipping address.

5. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

my mistake. Although GCDEF apparently found it out quickly

6. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

If it were me I would store the guitar away from your home and
    under lock and key due to this incident.

People will rob you over $700 bucks, let alone 70,000.

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

So what? Change the email account on PayPal, block the scammers phone number and change your number. Unless the OP has an unusual name like mine, they'll be hundreds, probably thousands of him in the US and there are even 7 or 8 of me out there....

8. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

Funny thing is I have an unusual name...

I spoke with Paypal and ebay. I didn`t give any info that could get the guy into my accounts. Paypal did give me a US government site to file a report which will be done.

All in all, a strange experience...

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Your first name begins with Y and your last with A. As I said, it's not hard to find people these days.

10. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

So true, I don't even worry about it anymore.

11. Bozak

Bozak Member

I would not be worried, unless you think he'll break into your home? doubt that.

Why not call the police on him?

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

An internet scumbag like that isn't usually breaking into houses. He's finding easy targets online.

I would report it to Paypal and eBay. It won't shut him down, but they may close his accounts. Especially Paypal.

OP, that's a beautiful guitar. I was admiring it the past few days.

13. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

That's a brilliant scam. Glad you were smart enough to avoid

14. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The first thing I do before shipping something is go to PayPal and transfer the money to my bank account. That way I know it's there. Anyone who ships anything based on an email without verifying they actually have the money, will be an easy target for all sorts of scams.
    -
    Austin

15. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

When I had a $7k mic for sale I listed it on Gearslutz and I had maybe four offers from people to paypal me instantly if I would promise to ship it to them.

Then I recalled all the paypal scams, and I realized that jumping into that was a bad idea. Anyone of them could have received my item and then cancelled the payment for some reason, and left me without my mic.

I then changed the terms to "must meet in person - cashiers check" - I decided it was more secure to offer to fly someplace to do the deal, and pay a small cost, than it was to take a chance.

I had the mic sold within three days - the buyer drove in from California.

I would never do a high value sale any other way since I thought about all the potential scams out there. I'm just glad you found this guy out, first.

Honestly, though. Once you told the guy you had read about him and he said "okay, okay" it seems to me he was feeling luckier than you that you did not bust him then and there. I think the last thing he would do is harass you, since his nefarious livelihood depends on maintaining a low profile. Nothing wrong with you taking precautions, however.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

You underestimate and underrate yerself.

There is but ONE Peteyvee :D

17. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I've seen that strat...she's a beaut...

Suggestion...I have a brother in Longmont CO...he can pick up the guitar and bring to me...for safe keeping...until this all blows over.

Just trying to help.

18. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Curious.....how? From his TGP profile?:dunno

20. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Yes, he's left enough information on his profile to search it out online if you were so inclined.