Interesting Speaker, cab and Beam Blocker comparison Clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hey guys
    here's quite an interesting speaker comparison test.
    The Amp settings,guitar riff etc etc and mic settings were meticulously measured and kept the same for each recording.........here goes the following.
    the test goes to show ............the differences in a CL80 and a V30
    ............the differences a cab can make to the same speaker
    ............the differences between the same model speaker
    ............the difference a beam blocker can make to the miked sound.
    Enjoy
    Celestion Cl80(2 years old) in my Bog2x12 OS Closed back
    Celestion V30(3years old ) in my Bog2x12 OS Closed back
    Celestion V30 (7 years old ) in my 1x12 open back Cab
    The same V30 (7 year old) speaker now in my Bog2x12 OS Closed back cab
    The same V30 (7 year old) speaker in my Bog 2x12 with a 4' home made beam blocker installed
    here's the link:
    http://www.pebbleman.co.za/ricker/Speaker%20comparison.mp3

Let us know your thoughts........what you liked/ didn't like
    Cheers
    Rick

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Hmm....just from listening with headphones, I think I prefer the V30 with the beam blocker, as opposed to without, in the 2 x 12 cab. Seems to sound fuller. Just my initial thought....

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I think I liked the CL80 the best. More bite. Some of the others seemed to be sort of muffled (for lack of a better description). I would have EQ'd it for more lower end tho.

I agree the best V30 one is the beam blocker, but that just may be mike placement.

BTW, which amp?

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I liked the CL80 the best followed by the OB V30. I didn't like the V30 in the CB cabs and with BB the speaker sounded like it had a hand over it's mouth, almost like a cocked wah which tweaks some of the frequencies.

This is probably why I have CL80's and Texas Heats in my cabs rather than CL80's and V30's.

5. Ricker

Ricker Member

No it cannot be mic placement.
    These clips were done very accurately with mic placement exactly the same for all speakers.

V30s are more rolled off on the top-end than most celestions....and the older they get the smoother they get.
    The cl80 is nice and clear for recording guitar by itself ...but doesn't sit as nicely in a mix as my v30s.............we've put mics on both at gigs...and my soundguy always tells me to go back to the v30............
    i listened in on the foh too and the differences were dramatic.

I guess the fuller sound is the added sound of the deflections.

Rick

6. Ricker

Ricker Member

Amp is a Koch multitone ........3rd channel

7. LaXu

LaXu Member

The 7 year old V30 sounded best to me. My favorites were the 1x12 and the 2x12 w/ beam blocker.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I think it would sound much better in Dubly.

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey, when you guys install a beam blocker, is there any issue with the mounting bolts/screws' different spaces where the blocker isn't? Two arms between the speaker and baffle, right? So the other two fastening points??

jon

10. redjet55

redjet55 Member

so it takes 7 years to mellow a v-30 ;)

I got a lot of time to kill.....

11. Ricker

Ricker Member

Nah.........I think better in Tripoli....he he

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

The thing is not all v30s are the same...........Most speakers differ even of the same model..
    My 7year old V30 has always been darker than my other one.......age is just one of the contributing factors......cause it definitely started out darker than the newer one.
    I've had about 6 different v30s and they all sounded different.

I've got 2 g12h30s and they both differ quite a bit.
    Same with the greenbacks I had ......both were different.

But I think the most dramatic differences were with the v30s.

cheers
    rick

13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I thought they were all pretty good. I suppose it depends on the full mix, but both the CL80 and the V30 work well. I was surprised how well the CL80 miked up...but I haven't miked one yet so it's just a guess.

In a denser mix or for more of a classic rock sound, I'd go V30...for a sparser mix or to get "under" the mix, the CL80 would work well.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Beam Blocker miked sound...that's what mic positioning is for, and the BB seems to screw with the sound. The "half-cocked wah" sound is very descriptive.

SM57 for the mic? Those work like magic with V30's...and with CL80's as well, I suspect. I'd try a brighter mic like an e609 on the CL80 to see what that does.

Thanks for the clips!

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

#1 The same V30 (7 year old) speaker now in my Bog2x12 OS Closed back cab

Chow,
    Seegs

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Usually the speaker gasket will compress enough that it's not an issue. For a hard gasket, I'd suggest either cutting away that section or (preferably)adding a spacer for the other mounting holes. You want to avoid torqueing the frame which is probably the nature of your question...and a very valid concern.

I've tried the blockers on a couple of cabs but ended up taking them out. They work as advertised, but they seemed to eliminate some clarity and bite that I kinda missed after a while. They seem to work best in a small beamy cab with a bright speaker.

16. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

First off - many many thanks for putting in the time and effort to do this!

Didn't expect to like the CL80 but I can seee it working well in a mix. The V30 in the small cab seemed less impressive. Of the V30 in 2x12 clips I'd be hard pressed to choose but I think the older speaker was just a bit more juicy sounding and I'd be happy without the beam blocker.

Chris

17. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

I have been wanting to stick 2 x CL80's into a 212 and these clips just confirmed why I wanted to do this in the first place - The CL80's are my favoured speaker here as they sound allot more open and clear than the V30's which by comparison really sounded wooly and muffled to my ears - all the V30 clips were variations on being wooly - I've never been a fan of V30's anyway but it was great hearing them side by side with the CL80's. I thought the V30's with the beam blockers were slightly improved in terms of spatial eq dispersion if that makes any sense - but still muffled.

18. Ricker

Ricker Member

It's funny how one persons muffled and woolly is my warm and fat sounding.
    I love the v30s rolled off top-end for higher gain stuff.
    Although mostly what has more treble and clarity on a recording will be preferred........I don't think the clip was dialled in perfectly for the v30 but I do prefer a darker fatter sound for live applications and here the v30 is better for me.
    I have since taken the cl80 out and sold it.... he he he.

19. Tikirocker

Tikirocker Member

Well there ya go ... I just know from personal experience that those types of speakers - the V30's and darker speakers, though they sound nice on their own, just don't cut through with a full rock band in a live situation - I'm sure many people manage but they take up freq's the bass should occupy and it's taken me allot of years to figure this out which is why I prefer where the Cl80's sit in the eq spectrum - plus they suit the sound I dig - actually if I could blend a G12H-30 with a CL80 that would be ideal. I just think warm and fat in that context is muffled by comparison to the CL80's which came across allot better and clearer and didn't lack for bite and punch.

Horses for courses though. ;)

20. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

i noticed this too and just used some cardboard as a spacer where the BB wasn't mounted (ran the screw through the center of the cardboard) ... there's probably a better long term solution, but the speaker seems pretty stable while i'm trying out the BB