Interface for iOS?

RJT

What would you guys consider the best bang for your buck?

I'm looking at:
IK Multimedia iRig HD Studio
Line 6 Sonic Port
Peavey AmpKit Link HD Lightning

Using this for rough recording on the fly.. Perhaps to run into studio monitors for light rehearsal with my backing tracks duo in the living room.

RJT

Good to know and I'll keep that one in mind!
96k recording isn't on my priority list for my "on the fly" recording stuff. Going to keep it as rough draft only basis. My wife goes on a lot of trips (half the time, a week or so long) and I end up going with her and spending 70% of the time in the hotel room.. So I figured I need something to keep myself busy, lol. Especially since the creative juices always start flowing when I don't have anything to record myself with nearby.

Guitfiddl

:agree

Another recommendation for the Apogee Jam. I've been traveling the world with one for about a year and a half and it has been flawless. Great clean, quiet interface.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Line 6 Sonic Port for jamming, Focusrite iTrack for recording works for me. Anything that needs to use the headphone jack to go into an amp has too much noise.

Totally Bored

I'm debating on one of these for my ipad air. My issue is I would like 8 inputs so I can use 5 for drums. 1 for Guitar, 1 for Bass and 1 for vocals. These do seem pretty good and are priced well but lack the inputs.

4 inputs for $300 ish

2 inputs for $200

RJT

I dig the docks.. But I definitely want something smaller. In all honestly, I'll only ever need one input. I'm gonna check out the Apogee Jam a bit more. I'm between that and the Sonic Port at the moment.

Totally Bored

What kinda apps are you guys using that use the Apogee Jam?

I already do PC based DAW style recording on my Desk top and Im new to the IOS. With that said, I downloaded Cubasis and I have Garage Band on my Ipad Air. I like Cubasis cause its similar to the stuff I have on my PC. Virtually no learning curve for me.

RJT

I'll end up using GarageBand.. I use that and Logic Pro X on my MAC for recording. Can you run iRig and the lot through to your iOS DAW for recording? Sorry for the questions.. I'm 100% new to iOS recording.

RJT

I'm debating on one of these for my ipad air. My issue is I would like 8 inputs so I can use 5 for drums. 1 for Guitar, 1 for Bass and 1 for vocals. These do seem pretty good and are priced well but lack the inputs.
Have you checked these out?
FocusRite Scarlett 18i20
Sweetwater Link - They're $500.. But they seem like they're worth it.. And they'll work on a computer, as well as iOS.

If I were purely building a recording rig.. And not splitting cash for a few different things.. I'd probably consider one of these just for my studio, tbh.

Totally Bored

Have you checked these out?
FocusRite Scarlett 18i20
Sweetwater Link - They're $500.. But they seem like they're worth it.. And they'll work on a computer, as well as iOS.

If I were purely building a recording rig.. And not splitting cash for a few different things.. I'd probably consider one of these just for my studio, tbh.
I saw that. Not sure how it hooks up the ipad air and if it's compatible with Cubasis ?

RJT

I saw that. Not sure how it hooks up the ipad air and if it's compatible with Cubasis ?
I'm not sure myself. I'm not on the up and up about usb audio interfaces. I typically ran my mixer right to the sound card in the computer/ IE: Tape out to line input.. And got really good results with my Mackie Onyx and Mac Pro.

stratboy01

I vote for the Sonic Port. Mainly because it has a line level output directly on the interface to connect to monitors or your DAW. I have had excellent results recording song ideas and jamming through the Sonic Port. Here is a quick clip I did with it a few days after I got it

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/stratboy82/mobile-pod-test-w-drums[/SOUNDCLOUD]

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I've got the Apogee Jam 96k and a Apogee One v.2.

I use the Jam with my iPad Air for demoing, sketching out ideas.
Apps: Garageband, Bias, JamUp XT, etc...

I use both the Jam and the One with my MacBookPro for more involved production.
Ex: doing soundtrack work while editing a project in Final Cut Pro X.
Apps: Logic Pro X, GB 11 (the latest), Reaper, etc...

Got an older PC based PT rig in the basement studio that I haven't touched in 8 years.
No point.
I could write a song in the time it takes to boot, set up session, etc...in PT.
Boring!

RJT

Sonic Port and the Apogee Jam have my attention at this point. Good demo Stratboy01.. I appreciate being able to hear something! I'll probably do another few days of killing my ears with demos.. Then decide.

Trending Topics