Interfaces - How Much Do They Matter?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by crumjack, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry Supporting Member

Yes, the audio interface driver's "Safety-Buffer" (often hidden from the user) is the X-Factor when it comes to Round-Trip Latency. Better quality audio interfaces typically can get by using a smaller safety-buffer.

2. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Member

I had expected about exactly the opposite, but I was pretty much blown away by just how bad some of the interface DI's could be!

[​IMG]

bryan zink and Cruciform like this.
  3. Jim Roseberry

Yeah, with a crap DI... it’s hard to get that P or J bass sounding good.

Of all onboard (audio interface) DIs I’ve tried, those on the newer Antelope models sounded best. Still not on par with a great outboard DI/preamp.

If you do a lot of DI recording, invest in a quality DI/preamp.
    First time I plugged my J bass into a Neve, it was an epiphany.
    If you don’t want/need the EQ and Dynamics, Neve makes an affordable DI.

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

I really preferred the sound of my Foucsrite over the Yamaha/Steinberg interface I currently have but....in the end, you need to get good performances and songs, THAT is better and will sound better than the best interface and bad songs poorly performed.

As much as audio quality counts...songs matter more. There are plenty of songs being released everyday that do not sound great, but are great songs that connect with people. That beats the heck out of songs that are lifeless, but sound pristine.

Dee S One and pipelineaudio like this.
  5. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Member

The misfits sure proved that!

Its the songs! The fidelity and other stuff is just crap we argue about amongst ourselves

Cruciform likes this.
  6. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Sorry, didn't see this post. I was using an M-Audio Firewire 1814 with an ADA 8000. I went to a Focusrite Clarrett 8Pre USB and Clarrett Octopre.

7. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

I recently changed from an Apollo 16 to an Antelope Pure 2.

From an audio perspective, I cannot hear any real difference. From a feature and usability perspective (given my specific use case), the difference is huge.

There are a lot of threads on this forum from users asking about upgrading interface to improve sound quality, and for most users who already have decent modern interfaces, there will be no discernable impact. It's the features, usability, latency, quantity and types of I/O that will make an impact, if anything.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. soundhack

soundhack Member

Jim is absolutely right regarding noise floor in Mic Pres in interfaces - some interfaces are much better than others here. Especially important on low output mics (ribbon - SM7).

Also good to check crosstalk performance in multichannel interfaces. I found one popular mid-priced interface to be absolutely horrible in this regard.

9. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Gold Supporting Member

We are probably at the stage where it is difficult to hear the differences between a $100 preamp vs a $5000 preamp. I mean how much better can a preamp get? What is left to achieve in a preamp?

It's similar to guitars. Those of you who lived in the 70s and 80s know how bad a budget guitar could be, but today they are entirely respectable.

Nobody is going to put Adele through a Behringer preamp, but I'd suggest that it wouldn't make an iota of difference in sales if they did.

pipelineaudio likes this.
  10. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

When I switched from my motu 828 to the apogee duet I noticed a definite improvement, it’s the converters. Plus the preamps were better. Unfortunately apogee stopped upgrading their drivers so it’s a worthless piece of junk now, won’t buy more apogee products after that. I’m now using an RME baby face which cost like $450 used I think. It sounds great and the drivers work well, although the software is difficult to learn compared to the others

11. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

The difference between my Great River ME1nv vs the stock preamps is very obvious. Especially with a cheap dynamic mic

12. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio Member

Some of those stock preamps are pretty crazy good when going head to head with big name ones

13. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps but needing expensive tools is no longer a barrier. Now it's more about talent, creativity, and hard work, which is the way it should be.

I'm sure a high level experienced professional could get the job done just fine with stock preamps.

kludge likes this.
  14. Jim Roseberry

FWIW, I've used cheap/onboard preamps... and I've used prime-time outboard preamps.
    If I have a choice, I'll take the prime-time preamps. ;)
    Literally everything you run thru them sounds better.
    They make it easier to get great sounds.

When I did my original drum sample library (now years ago - Purrrfect Drums), I recorded the cymbals with a C24 (stereo C12) and used GML preamps (George Massenburg).
    The sound had a somewhat dark... but extremely detailed quality.
    The noise-floor was ridiculously low.
    For a number of years, those cymbal samples were a benchmark.
    Without that mic and those preamps, the cymbal samples would not have been the same.

No, a great preamp won't write a better song/arrangement.
    Song trumps all... and I agree with that.
    But (IME) there's a significant difference between a $30 preamp and a $3000 preamp (Neve/etc).
    The expensive preamp is literally like getting an upgrade on all your gear (instruments and mics).
    At the risk of repeating, DI electric bass thru most cheap audio interface DIs sounds weak/anemic.
    With an anemic bass recording as a starting point, it's hard to massage that into a great sound.
    Run that same bass thru a Portico-II or Shelford Channel... and it's instant.
    First time I ran a J bass thru a Portico-II, I heard the result I had been chasing for years.

Years ago, there was an older guy on the Cakewalk forums... who saw my posts (struggling with DI bass recording).
    He claimed quality DI bass recording was easy.
    He mentioned a couple nice outboard preamps. I thought he was FOS (to be honest).
    Well... years later, I'm now that old guy... and he was right. o_O:D

PRSAtomic and Andrew Montreal like this.
  15. sws1

sws1 Member

Who says transparent is what you want? We buy gear because it imparts a tone every step of the way. Pro engineers choose microphones because they impart a sound...often very far from flat.

Everyone loves a NEVE preamp, but it's far from flat and transparent.

So why should transparent (or having a flat frequency graph) be the objective?

If your ears like it, then it's good.

16. Andrew Montreal

Andrew Montreal Member

Having moved from MOTU 1224 to Lynx Aurora to Apogee Symphony I can attest that converters make a difference. It’s often more to do with the electronics that surround the actual chip itself. A good example of that is Burl.

BUT of course, the converters are not going to be the major game changer that proper monitoring, a good sounding room, well-maintained instruments, and mic choices will be (musicians aside).

To add to those, preamp choice also makes a big difference. Tracking with API vs Neve vs old tube gear vs Fearn (so on)... major differences. And all have their place and use. Gain staging will also affect how these units change the sound.

BUT... and this is key to avoid sending people off to empty their accounts and go in debt just to feed their addiction... the difference isn’t worth it if you are making great music for the world to enjoy/connect with/be moved by. If that is your focus, which hopefully it is, go make music with what you have. Get the basics and create. Don’t get sucked in to the obsession!

MoPho, pipelineaudio and PRSAtomic like this.
  17. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

yea, get what you can afford.
    make music.

but if you can afford better converters,
    that's a no brainer too.

18. Timseel

Timseel Member

I have a Mackie Onyx 1620 that connects via Firewire and I get constant clicks with Windows7, they stopped updating years ago and I'm about to upgrade the PC (staying with Windows probably 10) is there anything I can use to connect the desk to before the PC that will 'upgrade' it and make it all lovely? The desk is fine for what I need, I can have up to 18 channels at once recording directly to separate channels when live jamming etc.

It will crash or jitter at the slightest attempt to do anything else. I have also got the latest (old) drivers and it took me ages to get it to work.
    It used to be fine with XP until I tried to do too much but the PC that was on wasn't powerful enough so I get that.

I don't want to have to get rid of a perfectly good audio desk if I can sort out the firewire connection.

19. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

I don't own a mixer aside from my Apogee Duet 2. I love it, the preamps were very noticeably better than my Tascam US-2x2. I am considering buying a 500 series lunchbox and a channel strip module with a preamp to avoid using my audio interface preamp's gain altogether. I've seen postings elsewhere to save my money. I'm adding at times about 30db with the apogee gain to my signal. Do you have an opinion on the apogee and or high end audio interafce gain quality vs a 500 series module signal gain?

20. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

look at cloudlifter

PRSAtomic likes this.