interior surveillance camera?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by flume, Mar 10, 2015.

1. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Purpose: curious amusement to see what the dogs get up to during the day. After their midday walk, they have about 5 hours til one of us gets home. During this time, they rearrange our shoes or do other not-too-destructive mischief. Nothing drastic. But we'd like to see who instigates etc. So its not a heavy duty need.

Looks like the only options are to get a dropcam that shows video on iPhones and a pricey subscription service I reckon.

Any other Maguyver ideas out there?

2. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

maybe set up a laptop with a webcam .. have it set to auto answer when you dial in

3. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

Sure -- you need something like a Panasonic IP camera (web camera; net camera -- many names if you Google...).

$179, or so, depending on the model.

They're getting much easier to set up, but do a bit of reading and understand that basically you're basically operating a live webserver inside your home, so you'll have:
    1) Security considerations
    2) Connectivity considerations -- presumably your home router has a dynamic IP address...how is this going to affect connecting through to your web camera?

Anyway, it's a lot of fun and comforting when you're away from home. I enjoy seeing our cats snooze on the tree, and it's nice making sure..I dunno, you don't see a stranger marching around, or flames licking at the doorway....

4. bt2513

bt2513 Member

I use a Y-Cam HomeMonitor for this. Free storage and streaming. Completely wireless.

5. dto

dto Member

I have a couple of these in my house:

Foscam IP Camera

Connects to my wifi network, and I can access it from my iPhone, iPad & web browser.

6. Doodad

Doodad Member

Put a go pro on his head.

7. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

I want to repurpose my old iPhone 4 for this very purpose. Need to know how much that dog is barking.

Not sure how to hook it up yet. Just know that others have done it.

8. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

I got one of these. Very happy so far. Storage without subscription! Maybe
    overkill for watching the dogs though.

9. bt2513

bt2513 Member

Agreed. I love mine. I have it set to only record when it sense motion during certain times. Its more for my SO who is constantly checking in on our dog.

I have a Synology NAS and plan to do a more extensive IP security camera setup one day.

10. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Those, or some just about like it, are the ones we plan to put my clinic so we can eliminate the old-school mirrorsused to monitor patients during xrays. It took the state about a year to verify that they'd "be ok"...the inspectors loved the idea you could zoom in , display on an iPad, etc.
    Check the security (encoding) and make sure your neighborhood burglar can't eavesdrop to see if you're home. That's the one reason to consider a wired setup, imo.

11. joe_jr

joe_jr Supporting Member

Mine works well.

12. rich-96db

rich-96db Member