Internal Trimmers... bonus or Tell-Tale Heart?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PSaulino, Feb 10, 2006.

1. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

Just learnt that my DLS Roto Sim has internal trimmers.

Don't know about you all, but the idea of those things lurking benaeth the surface is enough to drive me insane. Endless opening, tweaking, closing, tweaking, changing, open, close, tweak, change, diffeent guitar, open, tweak, close, different amp, open, tweak, close, ARRGGGHHHH!!!

Opinions.... Trimmers... a blessing or a Poe's Tell Tale Heart?

P.

2. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

This thread wins the award for coolest title ever!! (Hmmm....might also make a great pedal name).

I like my pedals butt-simple and awesome sounding. I don't mind tweaks on the inside as long as they're set-and-forget enough that I can do so....like "attack" on a compressor. Anything more than that and I will avoid it.

A

3. erksin

erksin Member

If the pedal is well designed and voiced in way that it is friendly to all pickup variations, I think they are incredibly useful. The trimmers in my MI Audio Blue Boy and DLS Chorus~Vibe were 'set and forget' after a minimum of tweaking. The hassle is when a tiny tweak throws the whole pedal off - then they are useless IMO...

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - what he said- you can really bugger up a univibe by moving the trim an imperceptable amount, not easy to get it back to where it was.

Even "useful" trimmers mess me up. By the time I'm set up again, I've forgotten what the pedal sounded like before I started tinkering.

I've got a 2nd Timmy on order for that reason- The only way I'm really gonna know what I prefer is to have one w/the dip switches up & one w/them down simultaneously. First time I've ever bought 2 of anything, and it's setting a dangerous precedent.

I guess I could even get a 3rd to set one up and one down for 'asymetrical clipping'...

5. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Trimmers are cool, but, IMHO ,they should be used 1) to make a great pedal still sound great, but different (ie the FT Clyde trimmer :Mike's fav setting or classic Vox
    or
    2) to make a minimal adjustment to account for distortion or other variables, but likely won't need to adjust (ie AM Clone Chorus)

What I don't like about a trimmer is when its setting can make or break a pedal and there is no documetntation to indicate its there (ie, microvibe. When I first got it I hated it, but when I heard about the trimmer it made all the difference in me deciding to keep it.

Nick

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

The ideal would be a pedal with an on/off switch :)

I'm also the type that forgets how the pedal sounded before by the time the tweak is done and the pedal has been put back together...

Psychology also plays a part in this. You know you changed something, you're more likely to hear a difference and then all hell breaks loose and in the end you don't even remember you name anymore or if you play guitar or bass and so on.. ;)

Okay, a trim pot can be good, for example to control the overall highend of a pedal, to make it suit amps with different characters...

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Have you guys ever opened up an Electro-Harmonix Polychorus? That thing has about 8 trimpots inside. I've never screwed around with any of them though. Anybody tried this?

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

God almighty! 8 trimpots... Is it love or confusion?

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

No, tweaking those will just cause manic depression. Peace out!

10. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Gawd ain't that the TRUTH!!!

... Poe! :cool:

Jet

11. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Spent 6 months dialing in a RMC3. Figure a year from now I'll have it.

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

In my experience they are a set it and forget it thing, and honestly most of the builders get it where it sounds the best. Some of that is subjective obviously. With the Tone Press I found it best for my ears where Barber sets it, but for different tones works well throughout the range. Now something like the Magic Boy Vibe, to my ears, has one perfect sweet spot. A tiny bit either way can provide a less dramatic effect but any significant change makes the pedal unusable to me. So in conclusion, anything I can tweak is good but usually it sounds as good as it ever will when it arrives. Also always mark the original setting. :)

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

I just worry about those that owned a pedal before me messing with all the trims.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sometimes they are kind of a marketing ploy. We guitarists especially ALWAYS want our own unique sound (YET...we want SRV, Gilmour, Hendrix, Ford, Beck, etc. on tap...) that no one else has as good. As I mentioned before in other posts...I'm proud of most of us that we DO in fact share info when we find a great new pedal (granted, we also sort of do it out of..."and I got one!" pride too, but still).

Anyway, some of the marketing is "see, you can customize your pedal just for you!" which IS great, since we all have different setups and needs.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out, some trimmers ought not be touched unless you have an oscilliscope at home, a knowledge of electronics, and the schematics and an understanding of the circuit...(and for tha matter, can benchmark the setting before you touch it).

Other trimmers are not that sensitive. Some pedal makers are really good about distinguishing them for you. Letting you know that the trimmer is not to be touched, or can be tweaked.

Couple of points. With digital cameras I now have the habit of, as soon as I open up ANY electronics (or mechanical) thing the very first thing I do is set my camera for highest resolution (so I can zoom in if needed to any part of it) and take several photos from many different angles. This can always help you get back to where you were. Also I draw, if appropriate, connections schematically and/or physically.

Another trick, take a magic marker or similar and draw a line from the inside of the trimmer to the outside frame...it helps if the line goes from thick to thin (sort of a triangular) or thin to thick so you can really get it back to where you started.

Some trimmers...I have the feeling anyway, even that are safe, say you move it, think it is allright but decide to put it back. If you haven't done the magic marker thing and just to it as close as you can, I think it could bug you for a while to wonder if you really put it back

But some trimmers ARE made to tweak, the value is selected so it isn't too touchy, and could easily have been a tewakable pot on the outside....maybe they didn't because they wanted to keep the unit small.

Personally, I like jumpers :)

15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I'm a merciless tweaker, so I like trimmers. I used to tweak trimmers on pedals back in the late 70's and early 80's when that was still "undiscovered country." I started doing the digital pictures thing when I started rewiring guitars and the like. Takes a lot less time than drawing everything.

Brett

16. billygoat

billygoat Member

Mark on the pot case and the trimmer with a sharpie, Use a vertical line, then tweak away. If you don't like it, twist it back till the vertical lines match up again

17. msp

msp Member

lol

only a year

the rmc3 is bad ass :horse

but jeeeeesh it is so G-D sensitive (too many options in there)

i finally got mine dialed in with my main axe and amp and then sold my amp for a blackface 65 deluxe reverb

one day..................one day i'll have that pedal dialed in

to its credit allmost anysetting can sound good if you know how to play a wah with your ears

but to get that perfect Q.....................

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg it takes litterally months and months

months and months and months of listening to the beating of its hiddeous heart

18. cheesey

cheesey Member

i like pedals with one knob :rolleyes: