International Guitar Summit in Durham, NC (May 14-16)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phillybri, May 8, 2015.

1. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

I just heard about this event for the first time yesterday.

Does anybody know anything about it? Will any TGPers be attending?

2. adauria

adauria Member

News to me... and I live 30 minutes down the road from Durham. Dang... looks cool. Wish I didn't have work and kid stuff going on those days. Though it seems a lot of the good content requires the $200 VIP access.

-Andrew

3. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I won't be there, but I love Durham. Really cool little guitar store in Raleigh called Guru Guitars, check it out if you're going.

4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I went...and it was awesome. For those that don't know, it pretty much grew out of the "quartet" style of gospel music, primarily found in African-American churches. Think The Canton Spirituals, Soul Seekers...there are some AMAZING guitarists coming out of that scene...Eric Walls, Chris Payton, Isaiah Sharkey, Tyrone Jackson, Eric Brice, etc...anyway, it encompasses players of all styles and genres...funk, R&B, jazz, rock, country, etc...Paul Jackson, Jr. was the chief clinician this year but it is basically two straight days of clinics and masterclasses with one concert Friday night and another Saturday night. The clinics are usually anywhere from 10-30 people in a small conference room with the clinician. Paul Jackson, Jr. attracted all 200+ attendees.

I did clinics with Bob Lanzetti, Chris Payton, Eric Walls, Isaiah Sharkey, Mark Lettieri, Paul Jackson, Jr., Tom Quayle

Tom Quayle and I hit it off and hung out a lot over the weekend and I spent a fair amount of time hanging with Bob and Mark from Snarkey Puppy and Andy Wood from Rascal Flatts. Ben Lacy was also there (check out his videos!!!) and we did grub and drinks a few times.

My mind was continually blown by the chord work of the gospel guys...needless to say, Bob, Tom, Mark and Andy just lit it up. Tyrone Jackson and Rick Watford did a duet and just killed it.

To show what a pro he is, Paul Jackson, Jr. caught the flu the second day and still performed at the concert although you could tell he was really unwell. His clinics were awesome...he would pull people up on stage and get them to play with him while teaching.

I highly recommend it...it is a fairly religious environment but you have plenty of options to duck out if that bugs you.

The headliner for Saturday's concert? Eric Gales...and he brought the fire...

Oh yeah, funny highlight of the weekend...while gear shopping with the Snarky Puppy guys, Tom Q and Andy W, Mark and Bob got on drums and Andy and Tom got on guitars and started jamming to Zeppelin songs lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]