International shipping on reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jim Marciano, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

So about half my listings some one is like do you ship international, currently I have a lot of 2 pedals and a guy in Italy would like to buy them I told him I would look into it, does anyone have any experience good or bad or any tips with international shipping?

2. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

Almost all my shipping is international (often to America) You don't mention where you are. If you're in the EU they don't have to worry about taxes on receiving goods. If you're doing it a lot learn the correct HTS codes and sign up for electronic customs forms with your shipping company. Check prices between the different couriers if you're doing it a lot. I find some places are cheaper with DHL, some with UPS and some with post. Otherwise just take it to the post office after checking the price online and send it.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  3. Jim Marciano

Sorry I am in the United states

4. topperdoggle

topperdoggle Member

I'm based in Israel and do lots of international deals, usually on smaller items like pedals, although I did have the pleasure of buying an AxeFx from a TGP'er in the USA. Like with any deal, if the reputation checks out, there's nothing to be worried about. The world is a small place these days.

5. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I've never shipped to Italy specifically, but I've shipped to lots of other international locales. Not a big deal. The only place I will never ship to again is Greenland. THAT was a hassle.

6. Jim Marciano

If there a service you prefer or that's cheaper in your experience? Also what happened with Greenland lol

7. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I just use USPS as they're typically cheapest and I've found them to be very reliable.

Greenland... I sold a 73 Tele. I had a custom box made, all was well, and was shipping with DHL. It was very expensive, around $500 iirc. Then the buyer messaged me and asked if I could find a cheaper way to ship. Like a fool, I obliged. USPS was only $125. But there were ridiculous size restrictions. Ended up having to ship it in only its original case. BTW, the buyer OK'd all of this. 4 months later, it finally cleared customs and the buyer got his guitar. o_O

8. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Reverb’s in-house label estimator makes everything painless, as it codes the package appropriately. All you have to do is input the correct dimensions and weight (crucial) and they’ll present several different shipping methods.

I’ve shipped to Russia, the Netherlands, the UK, France, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand this year alone with zero issues. USPS has the best price every time (roughly $25-30 for a pedal).

HeavyCream, sanfi4u, kdm1218 and 4 others like this.
  9. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

Reverb helps fill out the customs forms for you

Big in Japan, TrueFifth and coltonius like this.
  10. Jim Marciano

I don't have a printer at my house so I have never used reverbs options, I am definitely going to look into that, thank you

coltonius likes this.
  11. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

I'm not sure if you already have one but if you sell a lot of pedals, invest in a good scale too.

12. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

That, and/or order a bunch of free supplies from USPS. Most everything I sell gets sent in a double bagged flat rate padded envelope.

kdm1218, dshobe and Jim Marciano like this.
  13. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Italy have a notoriously bad postal system, I would not ship there using regular post. Only DHL, UPS, Fed-Ex.

14. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

See my thread I just posted about an international shipping ordeal on Reverb. Don’t do it as literally all the buyer has to do is say “I never received it” and he will get the item for free and you’ll get screwed.

15. secretchord53

secretchord53 Member

I’ve worked in the shipping industry for about 20 years. Whenever someone asks to ship international, I say I can do it with the following stipulations:

—The buyer pays actual shipping. USPS will always be cheapest, but most options don’t have full tracking or insurance (even if they claim it does). A lot of countries abandon the customs/tracking # once it gets to them. So you’re never sure if it’s delivered.

Ups and dhl will always be safer, but they are crazy expensive because you’re paying for speed and security. And, depending on value of the item, there will likely be duties and taxes assessed at delivery.

—buyer is responsible for said duties and taxes.

What people often don’t realize is that if the duties and taxes aren’t paid, the item is usually abandoned in the country. They don’t send it back to the shipper, unless you pay the full shipping back.

(I’ve had more than one customer spend upwards of $300 to ship something international, only to have the receiver refuse it. Then they have to decide if they want to pay the customs for their receiver, pay the $300 again to have it shipped back, or just give up on the whole thing. No good options.)

Also, if it’s an item of value, if you insure it, then the receiver has to pay duties and taxes on that value, ie, you can’t insure something for $500 but declare it’s value for customs as $50.

—once the item is shipped and the tracking shows it’s in possession of the courier, I am released of all liability for the sale. At that point, it’s caveat emptor, buyer beware. If it never gets there, it’s the buyers responsibility. I get this in writing and make sure they agree to it.

Is it enforceable? I don’t know. Maybe not. Thankfully, of the buyers that have agreed, I’ve never had issues.

But I don’t like doing it, and it’s always my preference to stay domestic. I would not ship an amp or guitar internationally, but I mostly deal in pedals anyway.

As previously noted, the Italian postal system is notoriously bad and has a reputation for things going missing. Perhaps it’s gotten better over the years, but this was the conventional wisdom on it years ago when I started.

All that being said, I’ve never had an issue with an international sale with pedals. I’d say it’s about 90-95% chance of full success with no issues.

The question is how much does that 5-10% worry you?

uberdave and Jazzmaster60 like this.
  16. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

I live in Mexico City, but so many seller dont ship here even when a can probe that my paypal account have hundreds of operations and maybe is 10 years old with 100% possitive feedback. THAT SUCKS BIG TIME

zztomato likes this.
  17. EVHindenberg

EVHindenberg Member

I shipped one of my Vibes to Belgium on June 26th and it still hasn’t been delivered yet. Customs over there are ridiculous. I at this point would be shocked if the guy gets it in working condition because he was told it was opened up. Who loses in the end? Me of course.

18. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Yeah same thing just happened to me with Germany. Shipped a package June 10th, it arrived in Frankfurt June 16th, and has shown "In Transit" since and Paypal have already refunded the buyer. What happens if he receives the item? I guess he makes out like a bandit.

19. EVHindenberg

EVHindenberg Member

I’m not concerned with that scenario as the guy I sent it to is really cool and has been way more patient than I would ever be in his shoes. I just hope he gets it and it works.

20. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I live in the EU and don’t ship outside it, because the shipping costs get ridiculously high. What’s the point of paying 60€ to ship a 100€ pedal?

EVHindenberg likes this.