• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

International Shipping Pedals???

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I live in the US. I’ve never shipped a pedal overseas. Can anybody give me advice on where to start? Like beginner, noob square one?

If I was going to ship into Europe, what are the recommendations for a shipping company? Heck, any recommendations for simply calculating shipping?

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I live in the US. I’ve never shipped a pedal overseas. Can anybody give me advice on where to start? Like beginner, noob square one?

If I was going to ship into Europe, what are the recommendations for a shipping company? Heck, any recommendations for simply calculating shipping?
You will be shocked at the shipping cost. So, don't sell yourself short on your listing when you set a price for shipping. The cheapest method will always be via USPS, but I truly don't trust their reliability let alone their tracking, even for domestic shipping.

cosmic_rust

Gold Supporting Member
I usually roll with USPS. It all depends on what international "zone" you're sending to that determines final cost. Europe is pricey these days. Canada is within reason. 4 lbs. is the weight limit for first-class international packages; everything over has to go Priority International.

ry-guy

Normally you can ship with usps or dhl or ups, and then other post companies will take it from there. I live in the EU, and when it gets here(Sweden), the local post company picks it up.

As an aside, be aware that certain countries charge VAT on incoming products. Here, they charge an extra 30% tax on imported products. Needless to say, i don’t think i will ever buy a pedal from the US anytime soon.

OnkelC

I had good experiences on the receiving end with all major carriers from the US to my humble home in Germany. As ry-guy said, be prepared to have the buyer for longer wait times due to customs. can be up to 2 weeks for Germany. the most elegant customs handling is Fedex IMHO, but it will cost the buyer around 35 EUR additional handling fee. Compared to my personal cost of driving to and spending a couple hours at the next customs office, its still reasonable.

A.Maiah

I would totally trust USPS. I live in Spain and it´s been a while since i bought anything from the U.S. due to the VATs etc but in the past USPS worked great for me and some friends who bought some gear on ebay.
Now, this being said, i would not bother selling internationally specially living in such a big country.

placebo62

Silver Supporting Member
I live in Australia so have pedals shipped from overseas, usually USA and Europe pretty often.

Some tips.
  • USPS Priority Mail International is usually best. UPS and Fedex are fine too but more expensive.
  • Make sure you declare the full cost of the pedal.
  • Make sure you have it insured for the full price of the pedal.
  • If possible, have the buyer use PayPal for extra buyer/seller protection.
  • Expect shipping times to be much longer than expected. Probably 6-8 weeks for USA - Europe.
  • Paying the Extra for Express shipping is often worth it.
  • Pack it like its made of glass!

mute

Since covid I got 2 pedals from the US to Europe, both where shipped by USPS (seems to be the default for vendors - cheapest way)
Both took more than 4 weeks, according to the tracking 1 was suspended mid atlantic and the other seemed stuck after check in.
Contacted the vendor/shop, as the sender is the only one that can contact USPS on a shipment: Both came within a week after that.
So either USPS tracking is faulty and/or things get stuck and/or they are real sloooow (for economic reasons? (unca scrooge sawing of the branch he is sitting on to get at the money hanging there - typical economist pattern if you ask me))

groovemeister

i live in australia also and since covid, the cost of shipping has gone mental.... the other day i was gonna pull the trigger on a pedal from prymaxe ( cos of the 25% off labor day sale) anyway, i add to cart then checkout out and shipping comes up as like 58 bucks US - last year it would be like 20-25 bucks. obviously i didn't proceed with the order. that 58 by the way was just for the cheapest, slowest mail also :eek::cry:

ShipNerd

Depending on the size of the box, USPS may be the cheapest, however ShipNerd does offer discounted shipping rates for international shipping as well -- not just domestic. Discounted shipping rates on our website will be via courier though, not post ie: UPS, DHL.

Steve

Trending Topics

Top Bottom