Internet Guitar Tabs: Amazingly Inaccurate

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrumBob, Sep 30, 2008.

1. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I occasionally go to three or four guitar tab websites, checking out new material for my band. Lately, I've become appalled at the amount of totally inaccurate, ass backwards tabs that actually exist on these sites, like Chordie, Fretplay, etc.

Last night, I was checking out The Clash's "Should I Stay Or Should I Go." Simple, right? Four chords? You wouldn't believe the errors and omissions some idiot made on the tab. Another genius had the chords competely wrong. Same thing on Tom Petty's "Change Of Heart."

Is it my imagination, or are there too many no-talents out there contributing deadful guitar tabs? I wish the sites would police themselves better. And those ridiculous pop-ups drive me crazy.

BTW, the best guitar tabs were by an Englishman named Andrew Rogers who's dead now. His tabs were always correct.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

To some degree you get what you pay for..(if you're lucky) I'll gladly take published hard copy first.
    Nevertheless, internet tabs are a great resource and save hours of transcribing, imo, but you do have to search and edit to get the most out of them.

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

They are better than nothing, but that's all I can say. They are almost never as good as carefully edited, published transcription.

Generally they are done by well-meaning kids. I get the biggest kick out of the ones that say they are "99% or 100% right" and yet have tons of mistakes, or don't take into account a special tuning, capo, etc.

4. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

What's incredibly funny about those tabs you find online is that every single one of them starts off with... "This song is so easy. Took me like 5 minutes to tab it out. If you can't get this then you suck." LOL Swear to you these kids think they are the best guitar players in the world and then the tab is nowhere near correct.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I'll take published hard copy first, though I often use a paid download site like sheetmusic direct .net to buy just one song, often only 99c for a decent transcription.
    The best Internet sire is www.giventowail.com for Pearl Jam stuff, since they don't publish much. If those tabs differ from a recording, tehn it's Ed who is not playing it right.
    BUt yes, crap tabs abound on the net an dfew sites care for accuracy, since it's visits that count, and the sworse the more crap tabs, the more visits you make to find something decent.
    I also like "I heard this song on the radio the other day, so I tabbed it out when I got home".
    Sometimes you get nuggets of gold though.

6. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Love the negativity by you guys. At least these kids are trying and take the time to put something up. Instead of bagging on them why don't you email them the correct tab? And if you all are such hotshots what are you doing going to tab sites anyways. That is what I thought.

7. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

:stir:munch

8. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

You are one of those kids aren't you? Your Blink 182 tabs were awesome man! :hide;) lol

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    No I only put up Green Day tabs with the occassional Nickelback tab thrown in for good measure.

10. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

11. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

I know. Those songs are so easy, I tabbed them out in like ten minutes.

It's easy to play unless you suck.

12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I would bet it wasn't some kid who tabbed out the Tom Petty or Beatles disasters I've seen on Chordie. If you're going to do something, do it right. Good intentions are fine, but if you're gonna put it out there for the world to see, try to get it correct. I still think the sites should check the tabs for accuracy.

13. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

yeah i gave up on tabs a while ago. the best thing to do is try to figure it out on your own—you'll develop good ears.

14. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

music is so easy.

my grandmother tabs it out.

while fretting notes with her feet.

15. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I don't know about you guys but some of the powertabs out there are IMHO as good or better than the printed stuff, even GT. The more technical the tune, the better your chances. I would suspect that some music colleges have powertab transcriptions as a student project/assignments and therefore the standard is rather high....don't expect to find Nickleback or Clash in there though.

Andy

16. scoob

scoob Member

Tabs on the internet are horrible...thankfully I have a decent ear so I can unsuck most of them...but god help the newbie player...I remember playing Iron Man 5 different ways from learning it from different "players" when I first started - every version was wrong!!

17. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

If the songs are so easy then why do you need to download the tab at all??? Laziness everywhere.

18. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

See, I actualy see this as evidence that transcribing accurately is not easy, which is why it peeves me so much when everyone says, use your ears.
    I know respected guys who have played in covers bands for years who play stuff way off. They just play it well and get away with it.
    I'm not dissing people for getting it wrong, but possibly for making out it is right , when it is not.

19. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I'm pretty good at figuring out the songs I need to learn but every time I need to learn something on a technical point, the free-bee tabs on the web are useless. Just garbage!

20. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Internet tabs are a disaster.

The thing that I find more ironic are mistakes in printed/published guitar books. When going through these tunes with students I notice that the tabs fail to mirror accidentals in the score in solo's.

That to me is sloppy editing.