Internet says this is a Cover Band set list.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Funky54, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Interesting list, we play just a few of those these days and I think I've played most of them in the past. Unless an older song is a stone cold classic (usually Stax or Motown) we're getting better reactions to recent hits (Winehouse, Mars, etc.). Also, the 80's & 90's are popular right now; we do Sledgehammer and it kills, people love it.

I can't get into playing the older overdone classic rock anymore. I'm tired of it. I'll let the next generation pick it up and run with it.

ckfoxtrot, beanbass and JessAnder91 like this.
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

A set list of mediocrity.
    wow.

3. JessAnder91

JessAnder91 Member

This is basically why people bash on cover bands.,

4. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

It occurs to me--I'd love tear Rob Brydon cover "(Small) Man In A Box".

Paleolith54 likes this.
  5. b_goatman

b_goatman Silver Supporting Member

"Jello for Children"

A-Bone likes this.
  6. wopr

wopr Member

I'm in a cover band, and we play/played a ton of those song. Its a good list. I was worried how our "computer over-lords" were going to be in the future. But with a list like this, I guess they will rock.

mkl13 and Tone_Terrific like this.
  7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Have played 37 of them live.

BigBadOrange and Tone_Terrific like this.
  8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

It will work well...... if I want to play in a cover band called FM.

3940bigdaddy and NorCal_Val like this.
  9. Hank Habanero

Hank Habanero Member

I've played seven on the list. Very happy not to know a single note of Mustang Sally.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    dbeeman and Alan Dunn like this.
  10. doc

doc Member

The discussions on this topic are always interesting to me. We seem to divide up into several camps very divergent in opinion. I guess if I were picking a team I'd be with the ones who feel that a band playing this setlist would generally do fairly well as long as the songs were well executed. I can see the other points of view, but I think its kind of like deciding what menu to serve a group - a very traditional chicken sandwich is a reasonably safe bet. Most people will be happy with that. If you know your group is vegetarian or a bunch of foodies, not the best idea. But if you don't know anything about the group except they're going to be hungry, also probably a risky choice to plan to serve everyone a seaweed salad with tofu.

11. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

There’s a C in there.

Sorry to blow it for you.

12. tymj2112

tymj2112 Member

I've played 21/50 live.

13. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It's a listicle. Never to be taken seriously. Just another clickbait variant.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  14. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I disagree. You can play anything from any era if you play it with conviction and commitment. AND your goal is to make your audience FEEL something. Not just hear something. Audiences, even in bars, are very forgiving if you really work to entertain and bring it fresh. Another big plus....if you play a few well known covers, but interpret them instead of recreating them your audience will be much more receptive to originals that come from the same gene pool.

ak301 and Mad-kiwi like this.
  15. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I’m a baritone... I can do it. Half voice / falsetto but it’s actually right in a sweet spot. I couldn’t do a three set night with stuff like that, but It’s stuff a little lower between... like every song ever in A where I’m dead. Tuned a half down we / I use to do a couple of Boston tunes justice.

ckfoxtrot and derekd like this.
  16. Gforce013

Gforce013 Supporting Member

I’ve played everyone of them live in one band or another . I hate playing a lot of them but the people that go out for some reason seem to want to hear them.
    As long as people are there drinking , dancing and spending money and the club owners are paying us. I’ll continue to play those crappy songs.
    It is funny so many bands around here play pretty much the same songs. At least it makes it easier to fill in for people.

17. Funky54

Funky54 Member

You know... I love Hard Rock. Always have, not really metal, just hard rock. I love Rock in general. But in total honesty..let me dream, what I’d really rather be a part of is stuff like Lake Street Dive. There is absolutely no music scene where I am, and nobody would get it. But I’d love to do something like that. Truth, I’d love to write. I’m very happy doing wedding band type stuff, but people getting married are younger and younger. I can’t see me at 48 suddenly doing dropped D tuning and Cookie Monster vocals, ILL NEVER DO STRIPPED DOWN BLUES. There is nothing else in my area...except bar band stuff. But I do try to keep 50% of the songs within at least the last 10 years. It’s harder and harder to find anything I remotely like in top 40..

I should move.

Fab4ever and beanbass like this.
  18. mildew

mildew Member

16/50 for me played in cover bands, another 5 or so i have learned for fun. I see classic hits (aka dad rock) as modern folk music - a body of music that everyone knows so you can get a bunch of random people together and easily jam through a bunch of songs.

lizardking and doc like this.
  19. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Do they have the words synced up like regular karaoke and play with a click? do You have a link to them? Thanks!

20. p19978

p19978 Member

I've played almost every song on that list.

I'll play a bunch of those on Sat nite and we'll have 250+ people there. I don't necessarily like many of them but they work and work well.

mkl13, Washburnmemphis and Mad-kiwi like this.