Internet says this is a Cover Band set list.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Funky54, Jun 18, 2019.

1. LeftyGtrPlr

LeftyGtrPlr Member

None of those see out of place except maybe Sublime and The Outfield songs. Other than that, seems pretty standard.

2. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

I've covered 32 of the 50 songs in bands I've played in over the years. I'd probably have to relearn half of them if I wanted to play them again.

3. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

GUILTY x35.
    Yes, guilty is the appropriate word.
    Happily, only a couple of them currently, and I've shot down suggestions for several others.

4. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Seems more like a list of covers every classic rock cover band should know. :idea:
    I play with two cover bands and I think American Girl and the Joker (as part of a medley) are the only songs either band plays regularly..... although there's definitely some songs on the list I'd love to play over many of the songs on the setlist.

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Those Sublime and Outfield songs kill.

stratotastic likes this.
  6. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

My cover band has been having a little fun doing medleys, weaving more recognizable songs together with more obscure songs by the same artists. Mind you, we play mostly bars where filling a dance floor is not a priority (but the register always is).

Example: ZZ Top Medley (we're in TX after all). The segues are fun and interesting, lots of bluesy guitar boogie, plus a wake up call when I get to scramble to slip my slide on and off. We start obscure and end pop but don't do anything nauseating or with droning synth:

Thunderbird ("What's that?"; One or two folks grin)
    La Grange ("Oh, that's ZZ Top! Was that first part ZZ Top?" The two grinners are rolling their eyes)
    Heard It On The X ("Hmmm, I think I've heard this...this is ZZ Top too, right?" The two grinners are now high fiving)
    Pearl Necklace (Girls start dancing and miming rubbing something on their chests. Biker dudes buy them drinks. All is good at the register).

Bullhonky Deluxe likes this.
  7. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Thanks for the injection of reality. That is how it actually works, as opposed to the armchair player's idea of b-sides and "play it your own way, maaaaann!" But people should also keep in mind that they're not limited to 'the list' and there are tons of songs out there that are awesome, fun to play, and will keep the crowd going. We have over 250 songs at this point, ranging from the classic rock mentioned in the list above, to modern pop hits, to self-indulgent songs we know just for ourselves but can whip out during certain gigs for certain crowds.

RockDebris likes this.
  8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

[​IMG]

scienceguy, ixnay, FusionRock and 2 others like this.
  9. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

I don't see cover bands often but when I do they always play Man In A Box. Doesn't really set a partying mood though. lol

LeftyGtrPlr likes this.
  10. OldN'inTheWay

OldN'inTheWay Member

...because there are actually people other than members on TGP that like to hear a band play these songs.

11. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

It's a good list. It accurately explains why I never go to bars with cover bands, why I'd never be in a cover band, and why most bars don't have live music anymore.

Seriously, if I was a bar owner, this is a good reason why NOT to have a cover band play. The list caters to the 40+ crowd. That's the same crowd who typically if they're going to a bar, either want something fun and unusual (because they don't go to bars very often and are looking for unique experience) or want cheap drinks, a jukebox (or modern equivalent), and a pool table (because they go to the bar very, very often, and probably are more interested in socializing with the other regulars than talking over a loud band). Either way, you'd basically be paying a band to come in and drive away customers.

beanbass likes this.
  12. sws1

sws1 Member

Our setlist philosophy / structure is this:

First set - Songs to introduce yourself and get people to start moving their feet. Crowd tends to be older earlier in the eve, so choice / iconic songs get people in the mood...from 80s and onward. End with some danceable songs. (People are getting buzzed.)

2nd set - First half is clearly dance oriented hits to get those older (now drunk people moving). 2nd half is the peak for the older crowd. They're all moving. Younger crowd starts to arrive and sees that this band is good.

3rd set - Older people have left, and young-uns are in attendance. Modern (90s to today) songs, with the occasional iconic / "song from that list' thrown in to keep the kids moving. e.g., American Girl.

Roark, RockDebris and BigBadOrange like this.
  13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

The ever popular "what you have to play in a bar" debates need some qualifiers.

1.) Are you in a dance band or are you not in a dance band
    2.) Are you working a room that has a reputation for, and/or a built-in crowd that expects, a specific type of material
    3.) What is the average age of your room

There are successful working acts other than dance acts, and there are many different types of rooms and audiences. It's useful to know who you're working for. It should factor into the material that you present. For many scenarios, songs on that 'list' are prime choices. For others, those tunes will run patrons out the door quicker than Wagon Wheel on Auto-Tune.

14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

15. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Well, the author has personal experience organizing his equipment for gigs
    ... so, there's that.

Funky54 likes this.
  16. data_null

data_null Member

That's pretty much the exact opposite everywhere I've ever lived. The bands sticking to the types of songs in that "list" basically get the bottom of the barrel gigs (e.g. low paying VFW style places, backyard party at a friend's house, free shows during the middle of the day, etc).

There's a ton of great material to choose from outside of that "list" and "b-sides".

NorCal_Val and Tim Bowen like this.
  17. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

When I hear any of those 50, I run from the bar...

NorCal_Val likes this.
  18. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Everybody is right because are answers reflect our markets. I played in Farm country, bars were clusters in little towns. There was no music scene. There was no large venues. In that context, you aren’t able to play much outside of stuff everyone will relate to. I don’t like this list. Yes I’ve played a third of them, but I always want to do something memorable but different.

data_null likes this.
  19. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Swing and a miss.

The content isn't the point. It's the idea that random morons who can't even get names or song titles right are laying this list out there and that, even funnier, some people are actually discussing it seriously.

20. data_null

data_null Member

No doubt. It definitely varies from town to town. Where I live now, you need to be playing hard rock, metal, or country. Nothing else really goes over here.

I wasn't meaning for it to sound like I was saying he was wrong. Just more surprised than anything, because that's the one constant everywhere I've been.