Internet says this is a Cover Band set list.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Funky54, Jun 18, 2019.

1. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Steve's been an online music writer for seven years and has personal experience organizing his equipment for gigs.

Well then! His expertise is unquestioned. And here I thought organizing equipment for gigs was just...organizing equipment for gigs.

2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Wow... I should move near you. That would be an oasis.

Where I am there are three options. 1) Stripped down blues, like Son House and lightning Hopkins. 2) Satan Death Metal Cookie Monster vocals and black finger nails. 3) Anemic Flip Flop, Hawaiian shirt bad covers of Jimmy Buffet and Brown Eyed Girl with pre recorded piano and drum tracks.

I have a fuzz pedal and want to use it.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

My score is 43/50

4. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I played at least half of those songs when I was playing covers, but that was 10 years ago.

It's a good list of "standards." The trouble with playing more recent material is that you have to play the song while it's hot, otherwise, there's a risk of it falling flat.

RockDebris likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Was there also a back singer, to match up with the forth?

sleeperaxe likes this.
  6. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

"It's difficult to say who has performed the quintessential version of "Mustang Sally," but the basic structure remains the same in each recording. This is another great sing-along for the crowd ("Ride Sally, ride!"). If you play a musical instrument, you have to know this one"

lol, no

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

So many people online fail to realize that they aren't the center of the universe. For example, these songs may not work in your jazz club in downtown New York City, but they may be perfect for the little shithole bar in Kentucky.

Get over yourselves, folks.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

True. The first "hit" version was by Wilson Pickett, and it was popular in its day, but the popularity of the song as a bar standard now might be attributed to "The Committments" movie or the Buddy Guy version...

9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

True, but the advantages of playing "more recent material" is that (1) you aren't playing in an oldies band, and (2) you will potentially draw a younger more energetic and exciting crowd to play for.

10. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi sorry get creative and write your own songs, I never liked cover bands, sure they play a lot for me its its like working on conveyor band IMHO.
    but everybody has his own thing so I respect tha,t so if that is your thing go ahead.
    Peace Strat58

11. Bankston

From my experience, cover bands don't draw much of a following beyond friends and family. So you have to be prepared to play to the crowd that frequents the particular venue where you're booked. It helps to have a big enough setlist that you can tailor song selection to the crowd, which will often change over the course of the night.

We once played a bar that was frequented by a young hip hop crowd (this was mid 2000's) and our setlist was 1990 to current. The manager told us we were playing too much "classic rock."

RockDebris likes this.
  12. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I've played almost all of those at one time or another and my current band plays a few of them. Some of those songs I definitely never need to hear nor play again.
    And as we've found, there are a lot of B-sides or deeper cuts/lesser played tunes by the same artists that are just as effective at pleasing the crowd.

13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

Since we added a pedal steel player, we can play songs not on any list.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

A lot of country music has pedal steel...
    That's all well and good and fine if (1) someone in the band can write decent songs, and (2) if folks who live the area where you live will support original bands...not all will...
    That is certainly not the case here. Here people come out to hear cover bands and dance. Original bands will draw "some" depending on the band, but mainly their family and buds...
    He was probably right, if you were playing a lot of grunge, which is now classic rock...

15. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

I love how the tile of this thread is "internet says this is a cover band set list."

No. The internet doesn't have an opinion. Some random musician says this is a cover band set list.

It amazes me how someone can find one article, written by one insignificant person, and treat it as though it's some authoritative document. I mean, if we want to light-heartedly debate the author, there's nothing wrong with that. But many on this thread are deriding cover bands, lamenting the live music scene in general, etc., all because of this song list.

Really?

16. skinvoyager

There are cover bands in my area drawing consistently well enough that every member is making six figures working 4-5 nights a week. I guess they have a LOT of friends and family.

2HBStrat likes this.
  17. Bankston

Do they follow the same band from venue to venue, or just go check out the band when it plays their neighborhood bar/club?

He was absolutely right. It was 90's Buzz material so not all grunge. I was just surprised how quickly it turned into classic rock.

18. Bankston

Hmmm. Bars and clubs must pay better in your area than what I experienced playing 4-5 nights per week. Back then I think the most I made from playing covers was around $20K.

So these gigs pay $2K per night? That's awesome if you can get that kinda money.

19. skinvoyager

$2500 minimum at most places. $5000 for weddings. Up to $7500 for weddings and corporate shows. Plus they make about $500 per show selling merchandise.

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I don't know of any bars that play $2500 a night...