Internet says this is a Cover Band set list.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Funky54, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

So, Green Day is on the list but Queen isn't?

[​IMG]

2. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Nice. The cover scene in Houston isn't nearly as good as it used to be. There were a couple of long-time bands that could command top dollar but it never approached those kinds of numbers. We used to get paid $1,200 per night for out of town gigs in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio but we had to cover our own travel expenses.

The bands that are getting paid around here are the tribute acts.

RockDebris likes this.
  3. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    If I heard a cover band doing Wanted Dead or Alive, I'd walk out.

4. motokev

motokev Member

Jessies Girl = yuck
    Sweet Child of Mine = gag

it's an ok list except for the obvious.

5. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Why? A lot of their songs were sung by the guys. Everyone loves a bit of ABBA ;)

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

If you have not at least dabbled with probably every song on this list you have not been in the classic cover band scene.
    The original post notion that these tunes are on that universal play list is undeniable... "everybody" knows this stuff. The LUV for it varies widely.

lizardking likes this.
  7. ixnay

ixnay Member

Websters and Menus still playing? I know they were making decent money back when I lived in the area.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I could fake my way through that list no problem - I've probably played all them at one time or another- at soundcheck - goofing around in the hotel etc... I doubt I would do a definitive version of them - but then again I doubt any single singer could cover that list - the range required would need an adjusted key list IME.

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

The internet ( or "internets" if your last name is bush) says a whole lot of things.
    The reality is that what cover bands do is most likely very regional. In the area I am in there are about 200 songs that most veterans of the local music scene can pull out of their ass at any given time.
    I still love doing rock era music and especially the covers that everybody is sick of.
    I don't mind playing Mustang Sally at all. People love it, I can cut loose and experiment with my rather strange rhythm style and take a different approach to leads for it every time I do it, and still not run out of ideas.
    All the while asses are shaking and people are having a good time.
    And that is what it is all about. People getting away from all the BS for a few hours and leaving it at home , at work, or at the funeral parlor they just came from.
    And I love the fact that I can be part of what helps them accomplish that.
    When I go out and play, I want to play for and to the people, for their pleasure.
    I have a studio I can feed my own intellectual wanderings and contrivances in.
    But when I am on stage, it is party time.

Even when it is that retarded "chew dabacca chew dabacca spit" song or the lame Wherewolves of London/Sweet Home alabama ripoff. I deplore those songs, but I still like playing them because they make asses shake. and people interact with the band.

11. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I am not a huge Queen fan ( big respect for their talent, but just get bored by their albums) but I always thought Tie Your Mother Down would be a great cover song in bars. But I can't say I ever remember seeing a band do it. Maybe the vocals are something most bands wouldn't want to tackle.

Is that woman queen of a country or something?

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

I've done alot of original music and alot of covers on guitar, bass, and drums.

In my experience, a very large percentage of the guys playing original music COULDN'T play covers, because that requires skills they didn't have. It's usually easy to play something you wrote. It's not always easy to play 40+ songs written by others.

13. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

it's all coming back to me. I've done a good half of those over the years.

FWIW, It's a solid list, even though I hope I don't have to play many of those again.

beanbass likes this.
  14. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

We don’t play standard anything. No classic rock, no current country, no country after 1975.

15. beanbass

beanbass Member

I made a conscious decision to never play those songs again. Lots of my friends are playing in cover bands, but I've reached my quota .

There has to be some original element do the bands I'm playing with. Fortunately, on the Boston Roots Music Scene, there is an audience for originality. It's a pretty hip clientele, who really enjoy hearing original music in Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington, and Boston. They could never get away with playing that list there.

The trade off that it pays pretty poorly, but that's why I have my day job. I would much rather play great original Roots / Americana music with great musicians for little money then make great money playing soul-sucking music. I did that for years, and I'm now much more musically satisfied than ever at age 60.

16. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

Haha, I started the Websters (one of the founding members), but left in 1993. They're not around. But the Menus are still at it. I'm friends with those guys and they're great. Tim is the all-time quintessential frontman.

17. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I spent 10 years on the cover scene and have been playing originals the past 9 and I wouldn't be able to play 40+ covers right now without some serious woodshedding. I've forgotten most of the covers I used to know.

SgtThump likes this.
  18. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

Believe, any bar will pay that if they do $15,000 gross.

300 people at $15 cover charge gets you a third of the way there.

19. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

And that is 4-5 nights a week... so that means a Mon, Tues, Wed, or Thu at least 2-3x a week 52 weeks a year. :idea:

20. Dashface

Dashface Member

My cover band definitely plays some of those... But lots of them feel like strange picks to me