Internet says this is a Cover Band set list.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Funky54, Jun 18, 2019.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Not as much as getting out there and doing the deed!

Funny story about that. We were doing our set (the newer set, the one that makes a crowd happy enough without causing us to gag violently) and something was said on the mic that brought to mind one of the songs from The List, which we don't play, but I know the opening riff for. As a JOKE, I played the opening riff. No one knows its a joke, just the band. The crowd suddenly went nuts. I stopped because I had no intention of playing that song, and the band was unprepared for it. The Lowest Common Denominator made their voices heard. I've never heard so many people cheer and then instantly groan like that. Luckily, it was right before the last song of the night and we save one of the other songs from The List for last and they were quelled. I will never do that again.

SgtThump and Funky54 like this.
  2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I gotta PM you and ask a few specifics.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I have to admit that I hate it when someone in the band, usually the other guitar player, plays part of a song that is requested but that we don't play. It makes the person think "they know my song but they just won't play it...

4. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Cool. I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt that you actually have a band.

5. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Member

Cover bands play more than just bars and clubs. Weddings seem to be very lucrative. I sort of follow a Dance/Cover band out of Dallas that seems to be doing very well. They seem to do 3-4 gigs a week and more than half seem to be high end weddings that can pay $10-20K a gig based on the decor I've seen.

I run a fountain pen show and we have live music on Saturday night of the show. We pay $2-3K for the band. So the number @skinvoyager threw out seem consistent with my experience. We are not getting a decent band for less than $2K in our area.

As for why I would follow a wedding band, the reason is weird. There was an all-female Japanese pop band, Chelsy, that broke up last year. The band was signed to Sony records and not a small band. The bassist ended up in Texas of all places and joined this band.

skinvoyager likes this.
  6. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I'm going to take a guess and say that the bands you look for have enough lights and sound to fill a large venue, bring labor and a sound engineer. Honestly, that's where it is at. A lot of cover band discussions tend to lean toward thinking of a band of 4 people who show up to a pub, set up in the corner and play through 1 JBL stand speaker (2 if they are lucky, with a sub if they are really lucky) and the 16 channel mixer is right there next to the bassist (and 7 of the channels are broken). That's not a wrong assumption and it probably accounts for a larger portion of what makes the cover band scene.

Then there are those bands who run a business. Invest in it all .. putting a great stage show together from scratch when needed. Wouldn't think of playing without a contract. And probably have representation outside of the band members. They also have to be extremely versatile and flexible with their set list, including adding songs that a client requests before the show (not pull off a half-arsed version of it on the spot).

My band is a hybrid of those two things. We own the mains, the pa, the lights and the atmospherics to put on a show at a small venue without any other support. Most of the time, we use a combination of a bars lighting and FOH with our own. Sometime we set up in the corner and bring the smallest PA we can. We are the kind of band who takes a wide range of pay. $300 to $1800 so far, it all just depends what's our level of responsibility beyond playing our instruments. We don't do weddings (different animal) and you get the same act whether it is in a pub or at an event. It's nice to be able to go for that variety, but also means the $1500 client sees that we played the Irish Pub last week and has doubts if we'd be right, they go for the event band who only markets themselves as such.

Anyway, just chiming in. There are different cover band scenes with wildly different pay and responsibility.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Bankston and HesNot like this.
  7. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

I have a rule - I never play in or listen to any band that plays Tom Petty.

8. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Probably half those songs would be largely unknown by the average audience here.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

Yep - the bands that "get" what you just said are the ones likely to make it to these higher paying spots. If you want to make the money, you have to think about all the stuff that's required to get there. It doesn't just "happen".
    Similarly, having it hit song has probably less to do with the song itself than it does with the hundreds of people and support teams that are required to "make it a hit".

10. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

I have played 16 of those songs in bands.

11. DRS

DRS Member

So you'd be the guy selling the kale, chickpea, and quinoa salad with a gluten free vinaigrette at the baseball game?

12. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

This thread makes me want to put a bullet right through my head.

AbePhroman likes this.
  13. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Member

Your guess is absolutely correct.

14. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

You don't say . . .

I've played plenty of corporate events and those obviously do pay a lot higher than bars/clubs, but don't have any experience on the wedding circuit. I know people throw away stupid amounts of money on weddings but I won't believe $20K for a wedding gig until someone shows me a copy of the canceled check.

AbePhroman and SgtThump like this.
  15. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Yeah, same here. For $20k you can hire a nationally known professional act.

ixnay likes this.
  16. Bankston

And a pretty good one at that. There are plenty of touring national acts playing for $10K guarantees.

ixnay and SgtThump like this.
  17. JJFlash

JJFlash Supporting Member

I'm so glad I don't play in a cover band, I honestly don't know how people do it.

18. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Why? You looking to buy?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  19. Bankston

So today I was talking to a co-worker of mine who has a pretty good cover band about the payouts for weddings, corporate events.

And that's when he told me about this band:

https://drywaterband.com/

You may recognize one of their singers, Uche, who was a Top 10 finalist on American Idol this past season. Another one of their alums got a publishing deal in Nashville.

I'm much less skeptical about what revenue a professional outfit of this caliber can generate.

20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Looks like one stop shopping to get the pro showband in a style of your choice.
    These have been around for like ever doing gigs for crowds in halls, conventions, and various events.
    The old big bands would be in the same category, imo.
    It's one (?) step down from being a successful draw based on one's own own composing and performance merit.