Interstate Love Song. One of the most bizarre verse progressions EVER.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MissingSomethin, Dec 27, 2015.

1. carlosmucho

carlosmucho Member

Fun tune to solo over with a jazzy approach:

Measure by measure:

C#min7 straight up

G#7 as V/C#min

C#7 is V/F# (Bb-7b5 is F#9 without the root)

As just mentioned, play F#dominant lines over the Bb-7b5

The F#7 to A(7) change is cool...dominant chords moving up a minor third imply that diminished cycling sound, and they share common tones (C# and E)

If you want to sound a little "out" over the A chord and built tension, play A7diminished ("half whole") before resolving to E major...the F#9 chord implied by Bb-7b5 invites it.

I tried treating Bb-7b5 as a tritone sub for E13, thinking of E as V of A, but quickly found out the natural D note sounds like crap, so that way of thinking wasn't too helpful.

So, you've got C minor, working down a series of V chords to F#7, a cool change to A(7), then you can play diminished over the A to lead you back to E.

2. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

How do you play in C# major without an E# or B#? They are in the key signature!

Phletch and A-Bone like this.
  3. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

Here is a good lesson on what the chords are, and how Dean plays them. BTW we play this song in my band. The only thing we do different is we slide the the C# to the D note on the B string instead of bending. We have two guitar players, and sometimes our bends weren't lining up together, so we just simplified it. I play the slide solo in the beginning.

Madison likes this.
  4. rumbletone

Hmm... how about Bb - Fb - Ab - Db?? In most cases I can think of, in typical usage, that chord would not be going where it is here. If going from IVmaj7 to V7 in A major I'd notate it with an A# root - but it doesn't seem to be functioning like that here. If it was going to Eb7 (i.e., a 'II half-dim7' -> V7) I'd likely notate as Bb root.

27sauce likes this.
  5. Lamby

Lamby Member

What's up guys, bit of a long time lurker, appreciate the inquisition of STP, thought I'd bring things back to earth by suggesting you check out STP at Brixton on Youtube from 2010. I've been to a shitload of gigs in my time and that one was absolutely balls out.

It was one of only a handful of gigs I recall when the crowd drowned out the singer. The other one was Eddie Vedder, but Scott doing it with STP was vastly more impressive. Here it is:

Scott and the the DeLeo brothers tore the place to pieces It really was a privilege to behold.

I know he had his demons, but don't we all.

Peace.

CC Overdrive and illinimax like this.
  6. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

LOL
    I have played this song on bass for years, never tackled the guitar parts. Thanks to the person who posted the acoustic version...I sat down with that for 15 minutes last night and had the song pretty much nailed down. My music theory days were many years ago but I can still use my ears and that usually works out pretty well for me. Thanks to all who have contributed TAB and note discussion. It's a cool song for sure.
    Damn shame we won't be getting any more STP like this ever again.

7. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

If I'm sitting at a piano, by playing an F and a C? There's no black keys between E and F or B and C.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T aspiring cartographer and social media influencer Silver Supporting Member

Exactly. You'd play the note you normally call "f" when you see "e#." No big deal.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Member

There are also double flats and double sharps, not shown here.

[​IMG]

A-Bone likes this.
  10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Enharmonic notes FTW!

Gasp100 and Phletch like this.
  11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I would too, and this guy did as well. I searched for a bit and this was about as good as a transcription to the bass line as there is online. The others were pretty dumbed down. He's got the A# chord, but the bass is notated Bb. Just like I would expect to find if I was reading this, or if I was transcribing this.
    [​IMG]

12. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Good song. But that progression is jazz dissonance? Only one of those chords is even remotely jazzy. And those very full voicings don't sound anything like jazz. 'Girl from Ipanema' is much more jazzy than this but I've never heard anyone call that progression dissonant.

The Wallace transcription uses chord names that look jazzy but the progression doesn't sound jazzy at all to my ears.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  13. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Boy, if the op thought this was bizarre wait until he hears Holdsworth. I think it's cool.

Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
  14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Some things you will probably never see much if ever -

Key signatures
    A#
    G#
    D#

Regarding B# and E# they are used in sharp keys in which there are more than 5 sharps, pretty sure F# and C# use them.

F#, G#, A#,B, C#, D#, E#, F#
    C#, D#, E#, F#, G#, A#, B#, C#

Just wait, there's also double sharps and double flats!

15. DrSax

DrSax Member

I didn't mention jazz.

16. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Fun?

That's sadistic.

:D

17. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Sounds pretty impressive. Interesting how ratty the isolated tone is, but I guess it works in the mix.

the_Chris, Goku13 and JimmyB like this.
  18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

ARRGGH! fix your action, lay back on the hard fingering, kill the compressor and we'll do another take...PUHlease please.
    Is that really the track from the final mix?

19. rumbletone

An A#m7b5 with a Bb in the bass? I suppose that's the risk society takes when we let the bass players notate... :)

ropiyas and Phletch like this.
  20. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Iso bass track sounds EXACTLY like the Cort headless Steinberger copy into tiny Gorilla bass amp I learned on in the late 80s.